What size charcoal grate for the 26" weber?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glenn,
I am looking for the charcoal grate size, not the cooking grate size.

What I do now on my 22.5" Weber is place a second charcoal grate on top of coal holder brackets to raise the charcoal up under the cooking grate to get a high temp sear on steaks. The problem is that the coals can roll off the exposed sides to the lower grate. If the 26.75" Weber's coal grate is 20.5 to 21" then this will prevent the coals from wandering.

not a bad idea. Let us know if you pick one up and if it works. you could also put charcoal on the regular charcoal grate and then put the 26 charcoal grate in to put a water pan over the coals and then have the entire top grate to cook indirect on.

Whoops, sorry Timothy! Just noticed, I had my lip skin over my eye teeth and couldn't see what I was saying!
icon_biggrin.gif

I finally had enough time off work to get over to Ace today so I could measure the charcoal grate of their 26". They sold it and will not be restocking it.
icon_frown.gif

Come on guys, I know some of you have this grill. Please measure the charcoal grate for me.

Thank you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Timothy Hoffman:
I finally had enough time off work to get over to Ace today so I could measure the charcoal grate of their 26". They sold it and will not be restocking it.
icon_frown.gif

Come on guys, I know some of you have this grill. Please measure the charcoal grate for me.

Thank you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried my coal grate from a Weber kettle 26 in my WSM 18.5. It is too big. I am not near my WSM but I think the coal grate for that is about 15". I just bought one at HomeDepot a couple weeks ago.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MichaelB:
We have a 26.5" on the sales floor....I can measure it tommorow for you if that helps! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Michael, if you could do that I would really appreciate it!
icon_smile.gif
Thank you.

Hey Tim
Now I have the "older style" 26 or 26.75 kettle grill. My charcoal grate measures 19.5" across. And Im sure you already know the 22" grill charcoal grate is 17". Im not sure if the kettle bowl is shaped any different than the "new" Weber 26.75, but thats what I measure in mine. If your not sure what I'm talking about with the "older style" big Weber, check my post on the "Family Portrait" thread just before yours on here.

Thanks Jeff!

I was hoping for a good fit at 20 1/2" but that should work just as good. I dont want the charcoal falling past the outer edges to the next level.

I guess I will be putting one of these on my next Weber order.

You could use a WSM charcoal ring to reign in those coals. I imagine those can't cost too much.

I have a WSM 18.5 and a 26 Kettle. I like the idea in order to sear some meat. This weekend I'll test out your idea and try to get some measurements.

SO in my kettle I'll put the charcoal baskets on the Kettle's charcoal grate. On top of the baskets I'll put the WSM's charcoal grate with the WSM charcoal ring IN the ring I'll put lump charcoal.

The WSM charcoal ring will definitely be small in relation to the 26.75 grate, but it will allow me to have hot & cool heat zones on that big ol' grate. Good for steaks.

yes the ring would work too.
The hot and cool zones are a good idea depending on the thickness of your steaks.
When I do T bones or rib eyes I have them cut 1-1 1/4" thick. That gives me med rare on a 6 minute cook over rippin hot coals. (1 1/2 minutes flip, 1 1/2 minutes flip and rotate, 1 1/2 minutes flip again, final 1 1/2 minutes. off to rest for 3-5 minutes)

Well, I stopped in at Ace today and what did they have? A new 2010 26" Weber! Guess they decided to keep selling them. Anyway I measured the coal grate. 22". That is more than the cooking grate of the 22 1/2" Weber. Interesting truss support on the bottom of it now too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back