weird problem

Greg Lousteau

so I'm using my stoker for the first time in a while. on my egg, got 4 boston butts going for about 1.5 hours so far. About 40 minutes ago, one of my temp probes spiked up, see the graph. Just now another one did the same thing. I assumed that maybe I had a bad probe, so I took it out. I'm not sure whats going on, any ideas? Cant imagine I have 2 bad probes?

weird_graph.jpg

well, I just looked closer at the first probe and yes I fried it..dagnabbit. I've got my wires covered in flame retardant wrap (automotive stuff) as a suggestion I saw on the egg forum. I pulled the wrap back and the brown wire from rocks is totally missing. I guess either in this cook or some other cook I had some flames and burnt thru rocks shielding. The damage is in the middle of the wire, not near either end. Is it possible for me to sepereate the two wires with electrical tape or heat shrink and continue using or is this probe toast now?

atleast I have an idea of whats going on now. I'm betting the second probe is the same way, but things are stabilized now so I'm not going to mess with it unless it could possibly short something out in my stoker???

Well, before I read your second post I was going to ask you if you have checked your wires to see if they were 'fried'. But now I won't. LOL

While people on forums might tell you to wrap the wires.... I'm guessing John wouldn't.

Back