Weber Summit S-470 LP Flames issue

Mark PA

Guys,

I brought a brand new Weber Summit S-470 and from day one the flames on my grill look like this.

http://imgur.com/a/hbbC7

Does this look normal or should the flames be a lot more blue looking?

If someone has the same grill and your flames look different then mine. Are you able to post a pic of what your grill frames look like.

Thanks,

Mark

I had everything on the grill replace. New manifold (twice), new burn tubes, bulk head and gas hose to the tank. I tried 3 different gas tanks to see if that would be causing the issue. Same results.

I'm just really upset spending a lot of money and my grill to me does not seem to be right. Spoke with a support supervisor today and my grill issue is under review on what they going to do next about this issue.

What does yellow flame mean? Too much gas or too much oxygen?

Google is your friend for things like this...

http://www.appliance411.com/faq/gas_range_flames.shtml

Here is a short quote, but go to the site and go through their whole sequence.

------------------
Flame is yellow and/or causing sooting on cooking utensils.

Possible Cause

Insufficient primary air.
Blocked primary air shutter.
Oversized burner orifice.

Corrective Action

Increase primary air shutter.
Clean primary air shutter & adjust for proper air-gas mixture.
Replace burner orifice.
--------------------

Last edited:
They look totally normal to me. They are supposed to have a little tinge like that at the flame tips. They all do it. Quit worrying and cook

Thanks everyone for their replies so far. When working with weber support last month. I asked them what should my flames look like and they sent me this picture. http://imgur.com/a/x0xq4

From what I can tell this picture does not look like the flames on my grill. I was hoping to hear from Summit owners on how their flames look compare to mine.

What Weber sent i you is pretty close to perfect. Your flames should be similar although a bit of yellow is fine. That you get yellow tells me that the combustion process is not set up correctly.

After weber replace all the parts of my grill but I still have the same flame issue. Weber is now saying that my grill is normal and there is no problem. I like to know if that was the case why did they have tech come to replace the parts to begin with?

email from a weber supervisor:

"Dear Mark,
Thanks for choosing Weber. We heard back from the parts department. Apparently there is nothing wrong with the grill and that is how it is supposed to operate. Given the parts have all been replaced with similar results this is their conclusion. If you are preheating the grill with the sear burner on it will get hot very quickly. The grill should not be preheated with the sear burner on. Secondly the preheat should not go by time; you should preheat to 500-550 degrees. Once the grill gets very hot, it takes time to cool down. To quickly cool the grill, turn the valves to a lower setting and open the lid. The reason for all of the yellow that he is seeing is secondary air around the burners. Please put the flavorizer bars in the grill and cooking grates. Preheat your grill to 500-550 degrees and then turn the grill down or put the sear burner on to sear meat. Reference the cooking directions in the Owners Guide. When the flavorizer bars and cooking grates are on the yellow flame should quiet down."

Can someone explain to me why the flames on this older Genesis grill are more blue and even then what my grill is after the person put in new burner tubes? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mib4s7iKzw4 Scroll to 4:42 mark to see the burner tubes in action.

Right now I feel like i wasted a lot of money for grill that I was looking forward in owning. At this point I will never own another Weber product again which is really sad. Since I own other products. Weber 22.5 Smoker, Weber performer and older Genesis that serve me well for 10 years.

I would think I would not need to do that for such a high end Weber Summit grill? Weber told me that customers should not be adjusting the burner shutters. Looks like I going to be force to do that to see if that helps with my problem.

Flame color can vary greatly depending on airflow around the grill, temperature of the grill, and so on. Even a change in altitude can cause a shift or changes in humidity, barometric pressure and so on. As for the shutters they're set at the factory in the Chicago area. So the placement of your own grill can change that slightly. I can tell you from experience that I can set those shutters one day and flames are about dead blue. Very next day they're not. Bottom line put the flame tamers on and grill.

I was going to say what LMichaels said. The adjustment is there to compensate for different conditions. They can't adjust them perfectly in Palestine IL on a warm wet day and not expect them to need adjustment in say, Boulder CO.

With all 4 main burners on and set at high with the lid down. The temp gets up to 690 degree mark. Here a video of what my flames look. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8JiD5X5pic&feature=youtu.be

My old 10 year genesis got more blue flames then this high end model from weber gets. To me it just does not look right at all.

Isn't that the temp they are supposed to get up to? It sounds like it's puting out the right amount of BTUs. The steaks don't care what color the flames are. I don't understand what the issue is.

Back