Weber Silver B Question

I recently was strolling through my local Home Depot and spotted a Silver B (2006 model) still in the box, on sale for $399, with free delivery & free assembly. Plus I had a 10% off coupon, plus as it was later discovered, one of the parts was missing from the box so the manager gave me an additional 10% off.

So, a Silver B that retails for $599 was only about $320. Couldn't pass it up.

My question is about the part that was missing. (Weber replaced it in just a couple of days, btw) It was the large drip pan that sits under the burners and funnels the dripping grease, etc. to the little disposable foil pan. Do you folks cover this drip pan with foil? Any reason to, or not to?

Great deal Tom. My wife would be proud of you.

I don't foil the drip pan, but that isn't a bad idea. I may start doing that.

Jim

Tom

Great deal on the Silver B and i predict you'll love it. I do add foil, not to the metal tray but to the aluminum insert. i guess my reason is to get extra use out of the disposable tray.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul G.:
Tom

Great deal on the Silver B and i predict you'll love it. I do add foil, not to the metal tray but to the aluminum insert. i guess my reason is to get extra use out of the disposable tray.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Paul - I might do that too, but some critter always pulls off my drip pan and licks it clean. I don't mind, I am frugal like you. Finally, a good use for raccoons.

Jim

Thanks for the response, guys.

Yeah Paul, I'm looking forward to it. I'm pretty much a charcoal guy, but every now and then it's nice to just fire up the gas and cook. I've made do with a Weber Q, and while it is a very nice grill, I'm retiring it to strictly tailgating and camping.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Ferguson:
My question is about the part that was missing. (Weber replaced it in just a couple of days, btw) It was the large drip pan that sits under the burners and funnels the dripping grease, etc. to the little disposable foil pan. Do you folks cover this drip pan with foil? Any reason to, or not to? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You're wanting to line the large pan? The missing part that Weber sent you? BTW, Weber refers to it as the "slide out bottom tray".

Weber is quite clear about NOT doing this. From the most recent Owner's manual on weber.com, which you should download and read if it was also missing from your box:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">CAUTION: Do not line the bottom tray with aluminum foil. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Congrats on the great deal. I assume it came with the Home Depot-only porcelain-coated cast iron grates?

Tom

i misread your post. Melman is certainly correct, you should NOT line the slide out try with foil. I use a plastic scraper every few weeks and scrape it down. Weber recommends washing with soapy water, also. I haven't gone that far yet.

So has Stump sold Stumps ... ?

Paul

Thanks, Melman... I ready the manual and didn't see that. Glad to have the heads up. Weber has always been super on replacing missing parts, so I had no hesitation on purchasing with the missing part. Actually I purchased the grill, had HD assemble it, and when they called for me to pick it up they informed me about the part. And, yeah, I got the HD PCI grates.

Paul, no Stumps has not sold Stumps Cookers. I believe what they did was merge with another company. Supposedly Stump is still in charge of building the cookers. Regardless, I'm happy I purchased my Stumps when I did. Fantastic cooker.

I do not line the small tray. I usually buy extras when they go on sale (usually around this time of year at Home Depot or Lowe's).

I also have had problems with critters (mostly raccoons) removing the tray to get to the drippings. After they got greasy foorprints all over my new deck, I started taking the small trayt out after my cooks. I just open the grill and put it on the grates. If you do this, you must put something under the opening to catch and other drippings or you will get your deck stained again I usually use a small metal container).

Ray

You might want to check prices of the foil dripping pans in the paper goods/plastic wrap aisle of your supermarket. I found the same size trays there.

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray Crick:
I do not line the small tray. I usually buy extras when they go on sale (usually around this time of year at Home Depot or Lowe's).

I also have had problems with critters (mostly raccoons) removing the tray to get to the drippings. After they got greasy foorprints all over my new deck, I started taking the small trayt out after my cooks. I just open the grill and put it on the grates. If you do this, you must put something under the opening to catch and other drippings or you will get your deck stained again I usually use a small metal container). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The "catch pan holder" snaps into the "slide out bottom tray". The catch pan goes into the holder, and the disposable liners set in the catch pan. Your varmints remove the disposable foil liner (to get at the goodies inside) AND the steel catch pan too?

Melman,

I have had the critters remove the small pan and tray numerous times. Only once has any animal removed the large slide out assembly. That was after a large cook with lots of grease on the sides. The large assembly was on my deck and the small aluminum pan had been taken down into my yard.

Ray

Ray

If you've got a critter that can remove the large slide out tray from your Silver B, you need to keep a loaded gun in the house at night
icon_smile.gif
!. Sometimes I even have a hard time pulling the tray out. Maybe set up a hunter's trail cam on your deck and see what you've really got going on
icon_eek.gif

Paul

Paul,

I have seen raccoons, foxes, and possums in my yard (plus owls, hawks, rabbits, moles, snakes, chipmunks, and other small critters). I think it's the raccoons but the possums are large enough that they could do it too. Your idea about a cam is good but I don't own one.

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Ferguson:
I recently was strolling through my local Home Depot and spotted a Silver B (2006 model) still in the box, on sale for $399, with free delivery & free assembly. Plus I had a 10% off coupon, plus as it was later discovered, one of the parts was missing from the box so the manager gave me an additional 10% off.

So, a Silver B that retails for $599 was only about $320. Couldn't pass it up.

M </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got the same kind of deal but my 10% off was because I got an HD card and get 10% off my first purchase. I finally used this grill for the first time last night and was amazed at it.

One thing though that kind of bothered me last night..there was some type of humming noise when I had only two burner's on at a medium heat but when all three were going, that noise was fine.

Back