Weber Rotisserie Seal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Erickson

TVWBB Pro
Looking for the best way to permanently seal the rotisserie ring to the grill. Does anybody have any solutions other than the foil mod. I'm thinking of getting the fire rope gasket stuff, but don't know where to purchase it at and how much of a diameter would be needed. Has anybody tried to permanently glue the fire rope gasket on to the rotisserie ring?

I've seen some other threads where people used fire rope to seal the lid, etc. Justin W posted about using it on his rotisserie ring, but it wasn't permanent, just tied on. Pics are here:

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...=525106325#525106325

Let me know if you come up with a solution. After getting my rotisserie a week or two ago, I was sorely disappointed by the way the ring fits.

Instead of going through all that, take a look at the cajun banits NEW ring. Just a thought. BTW, I mounted my Rotis bar 8" from the top of my 22" WSM. works great.

I've been using my rotisserie for 2 years now and the gap doesn't affect the cooking at all. Maybe some extra fuel usage but everything comes out great and usually cooks very quick so no real issue. But that's just me.

Where can one purchase fire rope gasket? I went to my Lowe's last night and nobody knew what I was even talking about and I couldn't find it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy Erickson:
Where can one purchase fire rope gasket? I went to my Lowe's last night and nobody knew what I was even talking about and I couldn't find it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got mine from a place that sells furnaces and wood burning stoves. I was actually on my way to HD and saw that place in the parking lot so I thought I'd stop in and see what they had.

Like Robert said, it probably doesn't matter when rotisserie cooking because most of the time you will be cooking higher heat anyways. I like to do some things low and slow and sometimes I use my rotis ring for other uses. Like yesterday I was cooking for a church function so I did pork butts like this (I only bring this up because this is the only good picture I have of the gaskets...but it does show the versatility of the rotis ring if you can get it air tight.)

As you can see, I have a gasket on top and on bottom. The top has a sticky back on it and was more expensive. It works fine, but I don't think it was neccesary. The only reason I have it is because I was considering using it on the bottom part (at the time, I was trying to think of ways to attach the gasket to the ring.), and just had it left over when the rope gasket worked out best on bottom.

The bottom gasket rope gasket is great (it was also much cheaper.) It's simply tied around the base of the charcoal ring below the brackets that hold the ring up on the lip of the kettle so whenever I set the ring on it pretty much falls into place automatically. Then I simply tuck it in on places where I see gaps. (That brings me to one of your questions, I honestly think that gluing it down would actually not work as well. Because the kettle and the rotisserie ring can be slightly out of round and because you may not always have the ring on in the same direction, I think it's better to be able to tuck in it where it needs it. It's not going to go anywhere if you just tie. Plus you could take it off if you need to.)

Anyways, this works great. I had absolutely no problem holding low temps all night. Also (as you can see, the hole the rotisserie slides through makes a good eyelet. (I use foil in those holes once I get the probes through...though it's probably not neccesary.)

BTW, there is a 18 inch clay saucer underneath there (on the main cooking grate) in case anyone wants to try this.

To answer your other question, this was a 3/8 gasket. At first I thought this might be a little too big because there are places where it doesn't "tuck in" as much as just sits right above the gap between the kettle and the rotisserie ring, but it actually works great. I definitely would not go any bigger than that though and if I had to do it again, I might try a 1/4 inch gasket if it was cheaper.

Hope this helps.

I've got rotisserie rings up the ying yang and always wonder why anyone really needs them to be air tight?

One thing noticed using Rutland gaskets, I've applied them to my Big Green Eggs and they will eventually (sooner rather than later) fall off.

As far as the Cajun Bandit reversible WSM/kettle rotisserie ring- those that are looking for a tight fit will be overjoyed at the seal on either cooker, but it won't be air tight due to the spit rod holes-but hey! Get over it and control your intake at the vents and let the rotis ring do its thing.

I'm waiting for C&C to make a version to fit the kettle and Cajun Bandit. They told me to be patient.

I just recently got the Weber rotisserie and ring. With a 1/2 to 3/4 inch gap all around, it is pretty hard to keep the temperature under control. Last cook on the performer, I shut all the vents and it wouldn't go under 350 degrees.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Moriarty:
I've got rotisserie rings up the ying yang and always wonder why anyone really needs them to be air tight?

One thing noticed using Rutland gaskets, I've applied them to my Big Green Eggs and they will eventually (sooner rather than later) fall off.

As far as the Cajun Bandit reversible WSM/kettle rotisserie ring- those that are looking for a tight fit will be overjoyed at the seal on either cooker, but it won't be air tight due to the spit rod holes-but hey! Get over it and control your intake at the vents and let the rotis ring do its thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For me it's not an issue of needing them "air tight" so much as needing a level of temperature control that you can't get with a rotis with a huge air gap. If I lock down all my vents, my cooker runs at 300. That's too hot for some of the things I want to do.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Still trying to find some fire rope gasket because my Ace didn't have any. Used foil today and it worked great and I was able to keep a 225 lid temp for 5 hours with no tinkering with the vents. Once the Performer got dialed in, it was set it and forget it like my WSM. I had the vent cracked open about 1/8. Without the foil, the Performer would have been about 325 with the vents completely shut down.

Look for a company that specializes in selling and installing gas and wood burning fireplaces and stoves. That's where I got mine. I didn't realize it would be so hard to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back