Weber Performer Mod possibilities

Thomas Errico

I own a a Weber Performer. Not the deluxe. It's the one with the folding table. I love the grill, but there are some things I would like to improve on it. The biggest 2 things are that the table is kind of on the short side, and that the wire tray at the bottom has twice now slipped out, as it can't seem to hold too much stuff.

First the table. There is at least another foot and a half of room or so to somehow extend the table and still be able to fold it. I have a couple ideas floating in my head on how to do this, but I was wondering if anyone has done something like this yet successfully?

For the wire tray, I was thinking maybe a few twist ties might do the trick, but if anyone has done anything cooler than that, again, I'd live to know.

I did also garbage pick a second lid, which will be my smoking lid. I bought a felt gasket to glue around it, a good thermometer to go almost grate level under the damper, and some silicone to seal up underneath both thermometers to stop smoke from leaking. Also, I'm in Buffalo, so I'm debating doing a paint job on the second lid with high temp paint to make it look like a Bills helmet, but that's not something I'm looking to do right now. The shelf and tray are my priority mods.

Let me know what you all think.

Welcome Thomas. I don’t have this model performer and I don’t remember seeing any table mods for this either. Fir the table mod, it’s probably doable but I’d watch the weight reaction if you’re putting something heavy in it after extending the table. You wouldn’t want to tip that over with hot coals or good food on it😀. I would at least test the capacity with an unlit grill.
I would NOT recommend painting from my own experience. Paint won’t stick to Weber’s porcelin finish. I painted one years ago (before finding this forum) and it looked ok for about one cook. It eventually flakes and fades and looks awful. I was able to clean it off using degreaser and scrubbing with 0000 steel wool. If you want a custom painted lid, there is some people that can porcelain coat but I think they’re pricy. You can search the forums on here to see some that have been done.
I really can’t offer anything on the wire rack but the zip ties may work well.

I had that same one and gave it to my Son when I bought the deluxe.
I'd be interested to see what you come up with for the table extension. I don't recall any problems with the lower shelf coming loose but I'll check with him.

Welcome Thomas. I don’t have this model performer and I don’t remember seeing any table mods for this either. Fir the table mod, it’s probably doable but I’d watch the weight reaction if you’re putting something heavy in it after extending the table. You wouldn’t want to tip that over with hot coals or good food on it😀. I would at least test the capacity with an unlit grill.
I would NOT recommend painting from my own experience. Paint won’t stick to Weber’s porcelin finish. I painted one years ago (before finding this forum) and it looked ok for about one cook. It eventually flakes and fades and looks awful. I was able to clean it off using degreaser and scrubbing with 0000 steel wool. If you want a custom painted lid, there is some people that can porcelain coat but I think they’re pricy. You can search the forums on here to see some that have been done.
I really can’t offer anything on the wire rack but the zip ties may work well.
Cool thanks for the tips, or actually, thanks for helping prevent any tips! I will definitely test out any sort of table extension, and also I will definitely not waste my time painting!

I have SS dishwasher front panel I've considered for a couple of projects.

Maybe one would adapt for you.

I have the same base performer.

The narrow width is too short,

20230423_123815.jpg
But turned the other way it might work as a starting piece.

20230423_124706.jpg

Just kicking out a rough idea that's not thought out.

I have SS dishwasher front panel I've considered for a couple of projects.

Maybe one would adapt for you.

I have the same base performer.

The narrow width is too short,

View attachment 69530
But turned the other way it might work as a starting piece.

View attachment 69532

Just kicking out a rough idea that's not thought out.
Also, do you have an issue with that wire shelf coming off too? Looks like you load it up pretty good like I do.

Also, do you have an issue with that wire shelf coming off too? Looks like you load it up pretty good like I do.
Yeah it happened once. I had two firebricks and a couple of oak splits on it.

Now it holds light stuff like CBs and a vortex and it's been fine.

It would be fairly easy to add support rods left to right just below the plastic, and this would complete the square.

Yeah it happened once. I had two firebricks and a couple of oak splits on it.

Now it holds light stuff like CBs and a vortex and it's been fine.

It would be fairly easy to add support rods left to right just below the plastic, and this would complete the square.
Good idea! I think I will try that this weekend. Sounds like a trip to home depot, my favorite place!

I just got a new idea. I'm going to remove the lid bale and turn the bowl around. the holes for the lid bale will be my new prob port holes. No drilling required. Will just need to rig up the bale, possibly using the legs of the performer to hold it on rather than one that sits over the lip of the bowl. Ill send pictures. Will be a bit though. Busy weekend. Will do a deep clean next weekend then work on these mods.

Back