Weber Performer 4th Gen - Caster Wheels Replacement (SKU: 68238)

Misha

Hello. I picked up this beauty yesterday, but one of two smaller caster wheels is broken.
Anyone knows a good replacement? It's about $15 on eBay and Weber site, and about $22 on Amazon.
SKU: 68238. Not sure if it's true and what is the difference, but I also found here that it replaces SKU 68242.

Also if someone has right dimensions I will try to find a replacement, something like this from Amazon.

@Bruce suggested these and I've used them on Genesis grills. They look the same as the one on my performer

Shepherd Hardware 9406 2-Inch Office Chair Caster, Twin Wheel with Brake, 5/16-Inch Stem Diameter, 75lb Load Capacity, 2-Pack,Black

edit: these are slightly smaller. I just measured the ones on my performer with the ones on my genesis.

Last edited:
Hello. I picked up this beauty yesterday, but one of two smaller caster wheels is broken.
Anyone knows a good replacement? It's about $15 on eBay and Weber site, and about $22 on Amazon.
SKU: 68238. Not sure if it's true and what is the difference, but I also found here that it replaces SKU 68242.

Also if someone has right dimensions I will try to find a replacement, something like this from Amazon.
All of the ones you listed should work, you want Casters that lock, the OEM all have locks on both.

All of the ones you listed should work, you want Casters that lock, the OEM all have locks on both.
I understand that OEM has locks. But it's also triple price =)
These from Amazon should work I think. I just wanted to confirm if anyone tried those or similar. I've just measured my broken wheel, looks like it should work.
I am also thinking if I can take off wheels of new part and just attach it to my caster wheel that has lock :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 20240305_100849.jpg
    20240305_100849.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 5
I always try to stay true to the original design, unless I am adding an improved mod. I don't let price get in the way, i.e. I have 5" wheels on my new offset smoker but I have an order in with the MFG. for their 8" casters with locks, $175 for (4) 8" casters. Different strokes for different folks....

I understand, and that is cool, I also like OEM unless something is better. But at a same time paying $15 for 1 caster wheel is too much on my understanding! Sometimes they make those prices crazy with no explanation. I have another example: had to replace T10 bulbs in my car that lights plates on trunk lid. Go to Autozone, O'Reilleys or any other store like that, prices starts $7 for pair of these little bulbs. Cost of it is like $0.10-$0.20 a piece, but they sell it for $7! Lowest price I was able to find it was in Ace Hardware and it was something like $3.80 for pair I think. After replacing those I went to Aliexpress website and bought 20 of those for $2 with free shipping to US. This is the real price of those bulbs, as those in local stores are also made in China. Now I have spare bulbs, already used few of those in my other cars and helped to my buddy replacing a few in his car as well.

So...I found a video on YouTube where the guy shows how to pop our those wheel caps. Not hard at all. This way I will keep my OEM part with lock. Just need to find a correct size replacement wheel caps from some broken office chair or something else.

Last edited:
I ended up with OEM 68238 part, came with insert but I didn't replace mine as mine was completely fine. Thanks everyone!
Did a good clean to both bowl and lid, spent another hour cleaning grate, push spark button had leaked battery so had to fix that as well as propane pipe was stuck with unknown debris so had to disassemble that one and clean it too, replaced the wheel, and now it's fully functional and ready for the food! Happy grillin 🔥
20240310_192129.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240307_102316_Facebook.png
    Screenshot_20240307_102316_Facebook.png
    726.5 KB · Views: 5

Back