Weber 28" Three Burner Griddle LP to NG Conversion

Mike Goetzke

TVWBB Member
I just picked up this griddle at Target on clearance. Not the best looking Weber grill I have but it has very even heating. I would like to convert this to NG but can't find parts or much info on it. I do have a Blackstone conversion kit I used on their portable griddle. The weber griddle seems to have a non-standard thread on the orifice. Most are M6 and the Weber is M5. Any help that can be provide much appreciated.

Weber has a history of making things difficult if not impossible to do a safe conversion. They use a hodge podge of valves from different suppliers in which some have internals that are easy to simply do an orifice switch out with and some that there is no way to do it safely. Sorry but it's a crap shoot. You could end up with a burners that will never throttle down to a heat level you want at lower settings or will go down too low and blow out due to not strong enough flame then have raw gas building up under your heavy steel griddle just waiting for a chance to go BOOOOOM! Either return the product and buy something else that is either in the fuel you want, or live with what it is

Weber has a history of making things difficult if not impossible to do a safe conversion. They use a hodge podge of valves from different suppliers in which some have internals that are easy to simply do an orifice switch out with and some that there is no way to do it safely. Sorry but it's a crap shoot. You could end up with a burners that will never throttle down to a heat level you want at lower settings or will go down too low and blow out due to not strong enough flame then have raw gas building up under your heavy steel griddle just waiting for a chance to go BOOOOOM! Either return the product and buy something else that is either in the fuel you want, or live with what it is
Thanks for the info. Thought something was odd when I couldn’t find a conversion kit from Weber nor find orifices with M5 thread. I have a NG Weber grill and thought it would be convenient to run the griddle on NG too but using LP isn’t that big of a deal.

Not sure when (I think mid 90s) Weber stopped offering a "conversion" for their products. One tip I have seen is in the valves. I have noticed if the valves operate smoothly with no distinct stops (i.e. distinct low, med high), they're pretty easy to convert with a simple orifice change. But if there are 3 distinct stops then you either have to modify the valves as well or replace them for models made for the fuel desired

Not sure when (I think mid 90s) Weber stopped offering a "conversion" for their products. One tip I have seen is in the valves. I have noticed if the valves operate smoothly with no distinct stops (i.e. distinct low, med high), they're pretty easy to convert with a simple orifice change. But if there are 3 distinct stops then you either have to modify the valves as well or replace them for models made for the fuel desired
Thanks - I was also just thinking of maybe measuring the orifices on my Weber NG grill to see if they might work on the griddle. Maybe I could purchase replacements from Weber.

Back