We should compile a Kettle FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Chan

TVWBB Member
We love this design, there is a cult following and many methods to use these incredibly versatile units to grill, smoke and use as an oven.

Perhaps we should propose a FAQ for each particular style

i.e. for Gilling, for indirect high, and for indirect low

Grilling:
To start for me, I use a full chimney if I want to sear... but I don't need it to ash up completely, I let it heat up in the chimney to my desired heat, pour it and start cooking.

I do it Steve Raichlen style, ramping it progressively to give me zones, for high, medium and off heat

high temp w/ indirect:
To do chicken, especially thighs, I'll use about 3/4 of a chimney lit, and pour another 1/4 on top, indirect style.
I'll then let it heat up to a desirable temp (for me I like hot) and sear the chicken over the hot coals to the ideal texture, then move it over indirect, cover and temp to doneness. Generally I'll use fully open vents, or open top and half closed bottom.

Indirect medium:

Just like above, I'll pour some unlit coals over a half chimney of lit indirect style, and control the vents to anywhere between 300-350 where the kettle is very happy to operate on a full load for 3-4 hours. Vents.. dependant on amount of coal, but usually I'm about half top and 1/4 bottom.

Indirect low:
Minion method to fire up the coals which are ramp'd indirect style. I flip my chimney and the bottem in reverse.. probably less than a 1/4 chimney of coal.
I have had great success with using firebricks to isolate the radient heat by containing the coals to its section.
Drip pan under the meat? Optional... dependant on type of meat.
Water? Not under the meat, unless you are trying to control grease smoke. Never found it to make a difference.

Water above the coals... now that where some people say yes, some say no.
I've had great success using a cast iron pot over the coals, filled with water. Its big enough where I don't have to refill it until I have to feed more coal at the 4th hour (or more).

The water as a heat sink has kept my kettle within range of 230-250 dome heat consistant.

Vents? to bring up from Minion, I start with full, then close both by half @ 200, and then close them to 1/4 (or bottom completely) at 240.

With water, I only need to check on the dome temp once every 45 minutes.

First item to pickup next, dual remote thermometers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back