Water pan question

Marty Wisz

Just a thought. I have heard the pros and cons to water in the pan. Some use the ceramic disc others just dry. I was wondering if the ceramic briquettes would work. Put them in the pan, a layer of foil.. Anyone tried that?

Just a foiled empty pan works great! Water is fine if you need to stretch out a cook for timing reasons.

Marty,I don't see why that wouldn't work. But I would do a trial run,either a dry run of the WSM or a small short cook,maybe a couple slabs of ribs,first. To see if the temps are acting right,AND you won't have a whole mess of meat possibly ruined. But give it a whirl and let us know how it works. This could be the next variance for a heat diffuser!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Glenn W:
Just a foiled empty pan works great! Water is fine if you need to stretch out a cook for timing reasons. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everything I have done so far has been with water, I'll have to give it a try..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Perrin:
Marty,I don't see why that wouldn't work. But I would do a trial run,either a dry run of the WSM or a small short cook,maybe a couple slabs of ribs,first. To see if the temps are acting right,AND you won't have a whole mess of meat possibly ruined. But give it a whirl and let us know how it works. This could be the next variance for a heat diffuser! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not so sure it's going to be that easy. Went by Wal-Mart today and they don't sell anything that even resembles the ceramic briquettes. Looked in all of their gas grills, not a one used them. Am I that out of date? Maybe Lowes
icon_rolleyes.gif
:-)

This may be an old thread but I did a search to see if anyone had tried this because I'm actually having a difficult time finding a clay saucer larger than 10". However, locally they're blowing out a bag of ceramic briquettes for $6 plus change. I think I'm going to pick some up today to try out.

Back