Wanting a New Charcoal Grill and a Beer Can Chicken Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Brown

I sort of asked this in another place on the board but I think I must have posted it in the wrong place so trying here.

I just gave away my heavy Bar-B-Chef Texas grill (Barbeques Galore model, now discontinued) that I purchased several years ago and I was from the beginning dissatisfied with the way the design of that grill resulted in very uneven cooking, and in the end too many parts on it needed replacing so rather than spend money to repair it, I just gave it away. I am now in the market for a Weber kettle having never owned one before. I think the 22 in. Gold will work well for most of my grilling needs but I do like to cook a beer can chicken every now and again.

Besides buying the rotisserie attachment for the 22 in Kettle is there any other known after market ring that will get the lid up high enough to get a beer can chicken under it?

I have heard that the rotisserie kit may have been discontinued by Weber and therefore may be getting hard to find. Is it still in their catalog? I do not see it listed in the Weber store any longer.

Is the lid on the 26 in. model high enough to get a beer can chicken under it?

I usually do indirect for ribs and chicken so the 26 in. may be better for that purpose but for steaks the Craycort cast iron grates for the 22 in. look real enticing. I do not think they are marketing these for the 26 in. at least not yet anyway. I guess one could always just place the Craycort grate on top of the 26 in. stainless cooking grate??

So if I end up with the 22 in. I will do a search on the Internet for the rotisserie kit - unless someone can come up with a source for just the metal ring - and and then also order the Craycort grate.

I know, I know I need to also get a WSM down the line but for right now I just need a new charcoal cooker and am undecided between the 22 in and the 26. in model. I am thinking the 22 in. Gold for now and save my money for a WSM to complement it later on.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

Hi Rob,

I have done two beer can chickens at one time on the 22.5" with no problem (without using a rotisserie ring). But you're in Texas, so maybe your chickens are bigger!

I have a rotisserie (EZ-Que) and actually prefer it over beer can when doing chicken.

I would consider the type of cooking you see yourself doing and the number of people you will feed. I purchased a used 22.5" to use as a second grill for larger parties and also have a smaller Smokey Joe Silver (14.5") that I sometimes use if the larger grill is busy.

Rob,

You can fit 2 Texas birds in a straight vanilla kettle, but not 3. Don't forget that CL can be a great source for a used one, just to check it all out.

Robert,

Welcome to the world of Weber Live Fire Grilling, your going to enjoy the ride.
22" Gold is a good choice. I am still using my 1986 22" Sliver almost daily and love it.
The 22" will accommodate beer can chicken with ease. I personally own a Weber beer can chicken stand and have cook 6 or so with no problem. In fact I have also cooked several 7lb bone in Turkey breasts utilizing that stand. I have also in years past cooked 13lb turkeys without a clearance problem.
If you think you need the extra space the 26" wouldn't hurt but the extra $130 or so for it is a consideration.
As far as the rotisserie kit goes, I would question the need for one if you utilize the indirect cooking method.
I bought a 2009 18" WSM last March and love it. The best feature in my book about the WSM is being able to dial in the temp you want and leave it. For example I loaded mine with 18# of Pork shoulder at 7am Sunday morning, got the temp dialed in, left for Church at 10:30, returned home after church, lunch and shopping at 2:00 and it was right were I left it at 225°, rock solid!
As the owner of a 22" OTS, 18" WSM and a Genesis Silver A gaser, if I could only own 1-grill, it would be the 22" Performer.

Hope this input helps, you certainly are among good friends with a world of knowledge, and the willingness to share.

David

The 22" is easily big enough for what you need.

As far as the rotisserie goes, I think it's worth it. Poultry, for example, cooks much more evenly than indirect, and is incredibly juicy. I recently called Weber to order an additional set of forks so that I can do multiple chickens at one time.

I mentioned to them that I had heard that they didn't have the rotisserie unit anymore. The person I talked to said that wasn't the case, and they had plenty in stock. I asked them about a unit for the 26" and they weren't sure about that -- my guess is no.

So if you are interested in the Rotisserie unit for the kettle, you might want to contact Weber directly.

I agree that the performer is the grill to get if you are looking for one to do everything, but if you are also looking at a WSM, I'd go for the 22 OTG.

Well first of all thanks for the replies.

I have checked out the Weber kettles at various local stores and I have to say I just don't see the room under the kettle lid to have a beer can chicken up under there and still be able to close the lid, but if you all are saying you do, then I believe you.

I guess for large chickens like a roasting hen the Turkey Cannon would work well and since the bird is lying almost flat then height clearance would not present any problems and the best part is my local Weber dealer has this product in stock.

I have all but decided to get the Weber One Touch Platinum in red. At my local dealer it is $90 more than the Gold (which is slightly cheaper than what is listed on the link) but for that $90 you get two charcoal holders, a built in thermometer, the benefit of have four instead of three legs, two side tables, and a slightly higher profile.

The only downside to it is that the vent holes are in the center of the lid instead of off center due to the design of the lid, but for indirect cooking I do not think this will be a huge factor (maybe so??). I am jazzed about it anyway and will probably go to purchase tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks again for the replies!

Robert

Buy a Performer. It makes charcoal cooking as easy as using a gas grill. Buy one, use it, and you will then understand. Just step up and get a Perfomer.

Ended up buying a 22 in. OTG in green.
icon_smile.gif

I finally decided that the Gold will cook every bit as good as the Platinum but a part of me still regrets passing up on the brick red color of the Platinum model.

I also sprung for a Turkey Canon and a pair of charcoal holders to go with my new grill. I cannot wait for the first cook on it which will probably have to wait until Thurs. evening at best.

I now also want a 26. in Gold and the 22 in. WSM. One grill/smoker at a time in time.

Thanks for all the help,
Robert

Congrats...and great choice. I hate to tell you this but...you already addicted. There will be more to come...you will be surfing craigs list...hoping to find the rariety....finding old performers and kettles...do you need them...prob not but you will buy them. Its a great addiction. Dont say I didnt warn you
icon_biggrin.gif

You made a good choice in the OTG. It'll do everything you need it to do, and save you money for the additional purchases you will make in the future (and you WILL, as others have said).

To me, the only real assets to the Platinum are the work space and the lid thermometer.

If you really need those features, you can buy the weber table and attach it to the side and buy a thermometer to stick in one of the vent holes. Buying the OTG and those two items will save you over $50 compared to the Platinum.

If you literally do "beer-can" chickens...just a 1/2 full beer can .. no fancy rack to put the can in.. 4 chickens will fit in my performer. The racks/can-holders make the chickens too tall to get any more than two in
icon_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back