Valve screws?

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Ok ...
On every one of my grills I like to feel good action on the knobs....they should push down and spring back like new. So I take mine apart every time. As you know on some old grills the screws can be a bit finicky and either strip or take a little convincing to get out. On my 20 year old resto that I am working on now I got all out but 2 and they are currently soaking overnight so I can re-approach in the morning.
Since u guys do this all the time..........what size are these screws???? I think I will just drill out the 2 that are giving me trouble and replace all of the screws with new. I assume these can be found at my local Home Depot and Lowes.......
Thanks

Ok ...
On every one of my grills I like to feel good action on the knobs....they should push down and spring back like new. So I take mine apart every time. As you know on some old grills the screws can be a bit finicky and either strip or take a little convincing to get out. On my 20 year old resto that I am working on now I got all out but 2 and they are currently soaking overnight so I can re-approach in the morning.
Since u guys do this all the time..........what size are these screws???? I think I will just drill out the 2 that are giving me trouble and replace all of the screws with new. I assume these can be found at my local Home Depot and Lowes.......
Thanks
Jim,
I looked into replacing these machine screws when I replaced all my other bolts during my mechanical restoration.
Mine were size 5 thread 44 and were 1/2” long. I looked online for replacements and didn’t have any luck. I have what is called a screw checker, I use it a lot for checking screws on black powder muzzleloader building. Comes in handy when trying to ID small screws. If you or anyone finds replacements I would be interested.
Good luck

Attachments

• 93DFC42C-7C53-4A9B-853D-E6B64A0DCED6.jpeg
    93DFC42C-7C53-4A9B-853D-E6B64A0DCED6.jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 2A29D4EB-A9F3-4789-B090-E2F40C1C21DE.jpeg
    2A29D4EB-A9F3-4789-B090-E2F40C1C21DE.jpeg
    25.9 KB · Views: 10
What about trying a gas appliance repair shop. They probably just replace the valves and sell the brass for scrap so you might talk them into letting you remove some screws. Small fine threaded machine screws like that are usually not found at hardware stores unfortunately.

Bummer.....I was expecting to wake up and check my super weber site and find all kinds of easy solutions......I didnt realize they were a special screw. Are they stainless ?
Thanks for the info on the size.....

Good idea.....I have one very close to me.....if they dont have it they can usually order it.

Back