Using My Rotisserie w/ My performer (counterweight question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil L.

TVWBB Member
Just got my rotisserie.. have a question about counterweight.. weber manual not too clear..

do i attach the counterweight so it hangs freely.. i.e. always hanging towards the floor..

or do i tighten it so it spins with the food?

Thanks.

It should be tightened down. The concept is to use the counterweight to balance out the 'off-centeredness' of the item you are roasting so that the rotisserie runs smoothly.

Phil
It is a counterbalance weight. Place it at 180 degrees to the heaviest part of the meat on the shaft, you can also adjust the length by sliding it up and down to have a lighter or heavier counterbalance weight.
The best method is to have it so it can rotate freely and then place the meat on the shaft and tighten up the forks. Put the rotiss shaft on the bbq and give it a turn, note the position of the meat, do this a couple more times - the heaviest part of the meat should always end up at the bottom. Place the counterweight in the vertical position with the weight uppermost and about 3/4 extended and tighten in position.
Check the balance again and adjust the extension or shortening of the counterweight distance to suit.

Does this make sense.

Cheers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reply </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks for the replies..

I "think" i get it...

I will let you know how it turns out..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Hartcher:
Phil
It is a counterbalance weight. Place it at 180 degrees to the heaviest part of the meat on the shaft, you can also adjust the length by sliding it up and down to have a lighter or heavier counterbalance weight.
The best method is to have it so it can rotate freely and then place the meat on the shaft and tighten up the forks. Put the rotiss shaft on the bbq and give it a turn, note the position of the meat, do this a couple more times - the heaviest part of the meat should always end up at the bottom. Place the counterweight in the vertical position with the weight uppermost and about 3/4 extended and tighten in position.
Check the balance again and adjust the extension or shortening of the counterweight distance to suit.

Does this make sense.

Cheers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Phil that was a great explanation.

I threw mine away after the first use and haven't ever looked back. I've cooked some huge chunks of meat on the thing and haven't ever missed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back