Used vs. new performer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherry N

Sorry if this question gets asked all the time, I checked the threads as best as I could. I'm totally new at this, so please excuse my ignorance.

I'm wanting to buy my first grill. I've done some research and I think I'm wanting the performer. There's one for sale locally that's about 4 years old, in good condition, seller asking $175. Or, there's the option to buy new, of course. Is it better to buy new or can a used one in good condition be expected to last? What is a fair price for a used performer in good condition?

Thanks!

sherry, welcome and no question is stupid. so feel free to ask anything. well, not my ss # !175 is ok but that thing better be near new. are you handy ? if so then a good used one is the way to go. you can save a ton of $$$$$$ doing it that way. there is also some major satisfaction in fixing up yer own cheap unit and making it a perfectly serviceable unit that just can't be beat. got a pic ??

Sherry

New is always great, the smell of new is really hard to beat, but A slightly used or well maintained used is usually a better deal. On a performer look for the touch and go ignition to work and there to be no (or minimal) rust on the frame. The grate or grill itself will be rusted on a used one. A new one is about 20 from HD or a better Stainless one about the same price from Weber customer service.

I have an old performer with the Stainless Top that I bought on Craigs List about 4 years ago for 65 after a bath and a new grill it looked and cooked just like a new one

there is good to be said of both choices

My recommendation would be to hold off and wait for a better deal. Summer is approaching and people will be getting new cookers and clearing out their old ones. If you consistently check you should be able to pick up one for ~75-125 depending on year and condition. Just make sure to check routinely and when you find a good deal, go for it.

Oh, and btw - good choice for your first grill. It will also be your last.

Used might be hard to come by, it is here in Utah. I have seen only a handful in the last year that I have looked, and unfortunately the owners have had a sense of what they were worth. So passing on this one could have you waiting a while to see another come up, depending on the volume in your area.

Try to get him to come down. 125 or so if in very good to excellent/new condition is a good deal. Make sure it all works. I hardly ever see used performers, mostly the used ones I see are One Touch Silver models.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back