Used Performer - (Lid Damage)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaun

TVWBB Member
I picked up this beauty from a gentleman for $100. It's a 2002 model I believe ("DU"). Everything is great except for a dent in the lid the size of a quarter which has a pencil-tip sized hole. Will this dent/hole affect cooking? Is there a way to repair/replace the lid itself while maintaining the original color? Here are some pictures. Thanks.

3ma3p23o3ZZZZZZZZZ9521be5ad7b089017.jpg

3nf3o23l3ZZZZZZZZZ95261a0fe5cc44d1b.jpg

The dent won't affect your cooking - I've had one in my original kettle for about 5 years.

You can go to HomeDepot and get some green High Temp paint, sand and paint the ding area with several coats of the paint, and then either leave it or, like Clint suggests, put a 3" Tel-True Thermometer in there!

Also - call Weber and talk to them. I have a OTG that had a ding in the lid and they were kind enough to send me a new lid. I'm still trying to figure out something creative to do with the one it replaced because there is nothing wrong with it except a ding.

Nice grill by the way - you're going to love cooking on the Performer.

Pat

The Tel-Tru thermometer sounds like a good idea, however there is already a thermometer installed below the handle.

Yeah - but check that thermometer - the one on my performer was off by about 30 degrees. I took it out and am debating whether to order another one from Weber or install at Tel-True like I did on my other kettles.

As for your primary question, I wouldn't worry much about the ding. I would hit it with some high temp paint if you can find the color that matches. I think they have it at Home Depot

Pat

I believe it started with me asking how to repair a chip in the porcelain on the lid.

They told me that the porcelain couldn't be repaired because of the way it was done at the factory (couldn't be fixed with any kind of paint on repair).

They then asked me for the date code on the vent and when I gave it to them (it was a one-year old model), they said they would send me a new lid, and they did.

I think the body of the grill has a 10 year warranty so I figured they said "what the hey."

Worth a shot right?

I will say that I have dings of that same nature on two of my kettles and I've not bothered to do anything with them. I keep them covered when not in use and I haven't had any rust issues or issues with the spot growing any larger.

Pat

Shaun -

I would call up weber too. I had a lid replaced that was 8 years old due to rust. No questions asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back