Un-marinating pre-marinated Tri?

Jon Des.

TVWBB Gold Member
I have a 3 pound Morton's Steakhouse tri-tip roast that I'm planning to make for dinner Saturday. It's pre-marinated but was about half the awful price that we pay for TT around here. Do you think soaking it in water overnight would help to get rid of the flavor so that I can use my normal TT rub? It's from Costco and the flavor isn't bad at all (they had samples), but I'd rather make it my normal way. Thanks.

Don't think soaking will get rid of the existing marinade flavour, it may mellow it out a bit. I would use a rub on it that worked with and complimented the marinade. You've tasted the product so try and imagine what it would taste like with the added flavour profile of your rub. If you make your own rub I would cut out any salt you use since most commercial marinades have plenty of salt in them.

Update: I opened up the pack on Saturday afternoon and washed it off as much as I could to get rid of the marinade. Then I spent 10 minutes trimming about a pound of fat off a 3 pound roast, rinsed again, dried off and seasoned with white pepper and garlic powder. It was good, but even for $5/lb. it's not worth the effort or lack of quality. Stay away from the Morton's Steakhouse TT at Costco.

Back