two zone cooking on the E6, how are you doing it?

John K BBQ

TVWBB Wizard
I'm probably about 6 to 8 cooks under my belt on my new Weber E6 Kamado - I think I have the low to medium "indirect" cooking methods figured out. I think that's the easy part when using the diffuser plate. Figuring out two zone cooking has been a little more difficult. I tried using weber's baskets with KF original but when I filled both baskets with lit coals the cooker got way too hot when using the indirect (500F +)

Tonight, set my charcoal grate in the lowest position, and dropped my vortex in there and about a half a large chimney of KF original in there, and then made some nice "crispy skin" chicken thighs. I ran the cooker at about 375 to 400 on the lid thermometer and food turned out nicely, similar to how I used the Vortex in my old 22" kettle. So, I can see myself using the Vortex with the Charcoal grate in the lower position quite a bit, and possibly doing some steaks that way... but the amount "searing surface" on the grill is kind of limited when using the vortex in volcano mode or in funnel mode....

So, if you want to get about half of that wonderful 24" E6 grill grate "searing hot" while keeping the other side 400F or so for the indirect side, what's the best way to do that? Half a chimney worth of coals spread on half of the charcoal great in the bottom position? Top position?

Sounds like you’re not dialing down the bottom vent to cook lower temps in a 2 zone setup.

It’s not about the amount of coals alone, it’s how much open the bottom is and then fine cinch down the top vent some.

Different question, what proteins are you seeking to do indirect and then direct?

I’ve cooked seafood indirect and then spin the grate for direct searing (think lobster tails and shrimps).

Chicken is way more forgiving, either pieces or half birds or spatchies.

With more of your input I might be able to offer more feedback.

Note, I have yet to really burn any proteins on the E6. Additional note, I really like JD lump in the E6 vs briqs. That’s just me. Others may feel differently.

Different question, what proteins are you seeking to do indirect and then direct? (mostly steaks and chops) I will probably practice with burgers/chicken breasts until I figure it out. I can manage not over-searing, its just when I'm done searing and want to move over to the indirect side to reach target temperature, if that side is way too hot, I'll overshoot the temp pretty fast. My steaks are usually around 1" thick or so. I prefer this method to the reverse sear because it's a little faster and rev sear is better suited to thicker meats.

I think keeping the charcoal grate on the bottom, with the right amount of coals, and as you said, the proper vent setting is going to be the key... Just trying to shorten the learning curve here if I can.

Different question, what proteins are you seeking to do indirect and then direct? (mostly steaks and chops) I will probably practice with burgers/chicken breasts until I figure it out. I can manage not over-searing, its just when I'm done searing and want to move over to the indirect side to reach target temperature, if that side is way too hot, I'll overshoot the temp pretty fast. My steaks are usually around 1" thick or so. I prefer this method to the reverse sear because it's a little faster and rev sear is better suited to thicker meats.

I think keeping the charcoal grate on the bottom, with the right amount of coals, and as you said, the proper vent setting is going to be the key... Just trying to shorten the learning curve here if I can.
so i re-read your original post to dial in some thoughts.

when i do steaks, large cuts like yours, 1" or 1 1/4", i use my CI sear grate in the center circle with both CBs full of lump. this makes for a very hot fire and a contained footprint, as in coals are not all over the upper coal grate. this method enables me to generate that exact sear om both sides and then i place the steaks in the indirect area to cook through to desired doneness (135F). see this thread for pics: https://tvwbb.com/threads/ny-strip-steaks-caesar-salad-croutons-and-mashed-pots-it’s-what’s-for-dinner.89213/

even when searing using the two CBs, i am not worried about my dial temps being high/higher because when in indirect, the meat is just soaking up radiant heat. direct heat is what's needed to dry out a good steak so i've been in the safe zone using this method. i also use this exact method for lobster tails, shrimp and scallops.

when i first got the E6, i was loading coal (briqs) onto the upper coal grate and cooking from there. i fast realized that i was making too much heat, used too much surface area, and couldn't get a reasonable cool zone. that's when i realized that i needed to contain my coals/briqs which helped me better manage zones, temps, no overloading fuel.

when i do chicken halves, i run the same exact setup; two CBs with lump and the half birds directly opposite the CBs. i form the CBs into a circle to keep their footprint small. i've also made a "runway" with each CB off to each side and the chicken halves in the indirect zone. here's a link to this cook: https://tvwbb.com/threads/basic-but-good-indirect-roasted-dry-rub-chicken.88349/#post-990084

i only use the lower grate for long, slow cooks and with the deflector plate. i have not done any direct grilling with coals on the lower grate. i'd like to hear more about this and any others' feedback/input and of what kind of cooks when doing this method (except for pizza, which i use my steel plate atop the grill grate and coals in lowest position)

hopefully this offers some help to you, John. i really love the E6 and have found it to be an excellent cooker and fuel miser. it's the best of both worlds; fast and really good flavor.

Last edited:
I am not sure I understand what you are actually asking, but I'll throw my thoughts on the pile. When doing what *I* refer to as two zone cooking, I place all my lump on one side of the top charcoal grate (I actually converted my two weber baskets into the Bro-N-Sear and riveted them together). I then have my searing zone, and my "roasting" zone on about 2/3 of the grill.

I have a pizza tray that I bent/cut underneath the "cool" side to block airflow and act as a drip pan area....and will usually put a second drip pan or foil on top of that too...(seen below).

1638313245082.png1638313285656.png

Here is a better shot of my pizza tray mod....

I cut one edge of it off and bent it so the bent edge also acts as a heat shield to the cool side a bit... If it was cheaper to get it here to Canada, I would purchase the SnS Grills stainless steel drip pan...but shipping costs are outrageous.

If they bring back the SnS Low Profile setup, I may purchase it depending on the overall cost.

1638313444233.png

When I cook the way I show above, I usually have the vents set to show dome temps around 450....just for reference.

I did some t-bones seared over the charcoal baskets. Baskets in the upper position, in the center. After sear, moved them off to the side. Results were pretty good. The sear was a little uneven, but that' my fault for not removing the excess fat from the sides of the steaks before putting them on. I'll probably keep using the char basket for this style of cook. Here's a couple of pics

Orange flame here is from a chunk of Pecan

IMG-4265.jpg

Here are the steaks after a rest, the extra char is on the fatty edge of the strip

IMG-4263.jpg

All plated up with some salad, taters and a little red wine mushroom sauce.

IMG-4270.jpg

Lump or briqs? I highly recommend getting the CI sear grate. I have, love and use this one as its all CI, unlike Weber’s which is porcelain over CI. The grate gets VERY HOT. Amazing searing.

And spinning your grate 90° mid way on each side’s cook will help eliminate uneven cooking.

Looking good!

Cast Iron Sear Grate Replacement for Weber 8834 Gourmet BBQ System 22.5" Weber Charcoal Grills,12-Inch Diameter Pre-seasoned
by Dracarys Outdoor Products
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZPNGLM5/?tag=tvwb-20

I'm currently working my way thru a bag of KFO right now. If I can find KF Competition next time I visit my favorite ACE store, that'll be my next bag or two. Since I'm new to the E6, I'm trying to keep my fuel simple and straightforward. I've used plenty of lump and am not "afraid" but it is just a smidge harder to work with. My taste buds aren't sensitive enough to really tell the difference in one over the other. I will say that less ash is always a good thing, and hard to argue against.

Not sure if I want the cast iron grate or not. I'm trying to keep things simple for now with a "less is more" outlook on my grilling accessories. I can see the advantages of the CI grate, but not sure if it's worth me keeping track of one more thing.

I did some t-bones seared over the charcoal baskets. Baskets in the upper position, in the center. After sear, moved them off to the side. Results were pretty good. The sear was a little uneven, but that' my fault for not removing the excess fat from the sides of the steaks before putting them on. I'll probably keep using the char basket for this style of cook. Here's a couple of pics

Orange flame here is from a chunk of Pecan

View attachment 41566
This is how I've been doing it, but lately I've been using just one basket. For a couple of steaks or chops, it's more than enough.

i only use the lower grate for long, slow cooks and with the deflector plate. i have not done any direct grilling with coals on the lower grate. i'd like to hear more about this and any others' feedback/input and of what kind of cooks when doing this method
I've used the lower grate to get a medium to med-high direct heat, for things like hamburgers and thinner steaks (flank, etc.) The increased distance to the cook surface seems to result in fewer flareups, and those that do happen tend not to burn the meat as much.

I'm currently working my way thru a bag of KFO right now. If I can find KF Competition next time I visit my favorite ACE store, that'll be my next bag or two. Since I'm new to the E6, I'm trying to keep my fuel simple and straightforward.
I've been using Cowboy briquettes lately and much prefer them to both KF Original and Competition. Better taste with less stink on startup, and seems to burn a decently long time. Available at Tractor Supply and sometimes Costco.

Grill grates are good for this as well. I use both my kamado and performers with them. I go reverse sear to get the temp to around 90-100 degrees then slap on the grates (directly over coals-lump or briquettes) to get to 120 degrees (usually about a minute per side).

On my Summit, I never have the coal grate in the upper position. It gets too hot, meat is too close to source. Since my grate is always lowest, default sear is right in the middle and cooler around edges. I have my two zones and never have to worry about it. It’s the best searing machine I’ve had, love it.

And x2 on Jealous Devil lump. I’ve got a small box of their briquettes to try but the flavor, smell, temp control, everything on the Jealous Devil lump is superior to anything I’ve tried. Real happy with it. Their pellets were a bit of a bummer though.

Back