Top Sirloin Tips

Gary Hodgin

TVWBB Super Fan
I meant to get top sirloin steaks but brought home Angus top sirloin tip steaks ($6.09/lb). I didn't notice this until I tried to eat the things. To say they were tough is a gross understatement. A person could easily choke on them.

I don't plan to get these again but was wondering if it was the way I cooked them or maybe they aren't designed to grill like top sirloin or rib eye. Normally, I get rib eye but my diet calls for only sirloin when it comes to steak.

They were about an inch thick and slightly over a one pound each. I seared them for about 3 minutes on each side. Grilled direct for about 4 to 5 minutes on each side and removed one at around 150 degrees and the other around 155. I was shooting for med well and well done. I grilled on my OTG and didn't use a pit thermometer but used my thermapen for the meat. It was only the second time I grilled on the OTG. First time was hamburgers and it went well.

Maybe these things needed a long marinate?

It is a tougher cut of meat so the more well done you cook it the tougher it's going to be. I wouldn't cook it past med/rare. Even top sirloin cooked beyond medium is going to get tough.

Bob,
Thanks, I've done decent top sirloins cooking to 150-155, but certainly not as tender as ribeye and some other cuts. The tops are eatable and satisfy my diet. I'll stick with them next time. I don't think I've ever had a piece of meat that tough and full of gristle. Maybe alligator.
icon_smile.gif

Back