Tips for new cookbox install please

Jim C in Denver

TVWBB All-Star
The new warranty cook box for my 2000 Silver B just arrived. I've not previously disassembled anything beyond replacing the burner tubes.

So any tips or advisories on how to do this without messing this job up?

The grill is in very solid shape, so I don't think I will do anything else at this time, other than giving the frame a very thorough cleaning.

Except for a few paint flake offs (pix below) on the end caps, the hood is solid. Any advice on how to touch those up without doing the full end cap paint job? Or should I leave well enough alone?

Attachments

• silvb01.JPG
    silvb01.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 19
  • silvb02.JPG
    silvb02.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 22
Box isn’t difficult to swap out. Remove cotter pins and pegs from back of lid and it comes straight off. Remove burners, disconnect two bolts holding gas valve manifold and disconnect/remove the igniter assembly. There is a bolt on the left side of the box holding it to the frame. Given its age, it will most likely be rusted. You can try to get t to free up with penetrating oil but most cut one of the ends off and pull it out. If it’s totally rusted in you may have to drill it out. You will also have the rails on the bottom for the drip tray which need to be removed and transfered to the new box.

When you reassemble it’s wise to replace all hardware using stainless steel.

As for the end caps on the hood, they aren’t in bad shape. For those few spots you can get rustoleum high heat in the small cans opposed to the spray paint and touch up those small spots with a foam brush after cleaning first with a small wire brush.

Ralf -- just what I was looking for. Thanks.

I knew there was one potential sticking point -- which you've ID-ed as that left side bolt.

I will let you know how it goes.

I suggest replacing that bolt with a stainless steel bolt and installing a stainless fender washer between the frame rail and cookbox. That will help save the life of that rail that is prone to failure.

There are screws that look like they are holding the burner tubes in on the left side. THEY AREN'T. Don't bother trying to remove them. You don't need to. They aren't holding your burners in. Just holding them in place. On the new box, just slide the tubes under the screws.

Back