Time for meatloaf

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Platinum Member
We have ground deer and ground local beef in the freezer. After posting the chicken leg post, I thought about doing a loaf. Perhaps just a simple indirect cook. I suppose a drip pan would be advised.

Any tips or tricks?

Steve,
I put mine on heavy duty alum foil and therefore do not need a drip pan.

Also, I usually make mine with ground turkey (wife does not eat red meat). I have found that if I remove the gills from a large portabella mushroom, and finely mince the remaining mushroom and add that to the meatloaf, I get a juicier and more moist loaf. It also adds a new flavor.

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have found that if I remove the gills from a large portabella mushroom, and finely mince the remaining mushroom and add that to the meatloaf, I get a juicier and more moist loaf. It also adds a new flavor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm going to do a pork / beef meatloaf on Sunday. Adding a mushroom sounds like a great idea.
I have an old pan that I've drilled holes in that I use for meatloaf.

I usually add ground pork when i have ground game in my meatloaf. I have started using oats for my binder with really good results. Form it in a loaf pan and put on parchment paper for the first half or so of the cook. Then slip out the parchment and bark up the bottom

Paul

Since I haven't used a drip pan in a while, I was thinking about HD foil-good call.
Mushrooms! Just smoked/dried some last night...a good add to a loaf, thanks.

Steve - I like to shape mine on parchment paper on a cutting board, then trace around it with a knife and remove the excess. Then slide it right off the board onto the cooking grate. Turkey loaf generally doesn't need a drip pan, beef does. Be careful with adding wood - you'll get plenty of smoke flavor just from the charcoal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have started using oats for my binder with really good results. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I forgot to buy the mushrooms
icon_frown.gif
but had an open box of Cheerios and used them.
I usually don't open a new box of crackers to make meatloaf. Think over the years I've used regular saltines, oyster crackers, Ritz, Triscuits, leftover bread crumbs and crutons, and probably a few more.
Guess like many other things, I've probably never made the same recipe meatloaf twice.

Meatloaf will be on the menu for tonight or tomorrow night...I was too busy earlier.
There is some very fine cheese leftover from a wine tasting...may have to add some to the mix.

My son was in town for the weekend and requested burgers.
I made burgers that were 5 parts local grass beef and 1 part local breakfast sausage. Nobody noticed the sausage addition...they were quite good. I seasoned them with my beef rub (montreal seasoning variant).

Got this from bbqbob several years ago. I actually like it better the next day. Slices better and just taste better to me:

Venison Meatloaf Roll-up!

Meatloaf:
2 1/2 lbs. ground venison
1/2-3/4 lbs. ground pork
1 roll Ritz (brand) crackers, crushed
1 med. onion, chopped
1 med. green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 1/12 Tbls. Lowery's Season Salt (or to taste)
1 tsp. cumin (or to taste)
1/2 tsp. allspice (or to taste)
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper (or to taste)
cayenne pepper to taste if you want some heat
3-4 cloves minced garlic
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 lb. swiss cheese, sliced
1/2- 1 cup dried porcin mushrooms rehydrated in about 1 cup of port wine and drained, or about 1/2 lb. sliced fresh mushrooms sliced thin

Topping:
1 small can crushed pineapple, drained
about 1/2 cup chili sauce or ketchup

Cooking instructions:

Mix 1st 12 ingredients (meat - eggs) in a large bowl, place meat mixture on a sheet of plastic wrap and press meat into a 1 inch thick rectangular shape. Cover with slices of swiss cheese and top with mushrooms. Roll-up jelly roll style and place seam side down on a cookie sheet or a foil pan tucking under edges so cheese won't leak out. Either bake in 375 degree oven for about 45 minutes or put foil pan on grill or in higher temped smoker until internal temp is about 150 degrees (about an hour give or take). Mix pineapple and chili sauce or ketchup and spread on top and sides the last 20 minutes of cooking.

Great with garlic mashed potatoes or twice baked potatoes and grilled corn on the cob!

I have also placed meatloaf on a rack in pan to raise out of pan dripping to help bottom brown up a bit.

I hope you enjoy it!

bbqBob

Back