Thinking of getting a Rotisserie...

Lets say you are cooking a rib roast, would you use the rotisserie? Why or why not?
****, yeah. Or a whole or partial pork loin, a whole fresh ham, a duck, a goose, a beef tenderloin, several game hens or a couple or three poussins, lamb leg, gyro meat, ribs, belly...

yeah. Or a whole or partial pork loin, a whole fresh ham, a duck, a goose, a beef tenderloin, several game hens or a couple or three poussins, lamb leg, gyro meat, ribs, belly...
icon_smile.gif
Looks like I need both a rotisserie and a cookbook to go with it!!

Looks like I need both a rotisserie and a cookbook to go with it!!
Not really, actually. It is essentially roasting without a roasting pan. Pretty much whatever you would do to roast any of these items you do in a rotis - except no pan.

RD,
Nice videos! I am with you, I am not the best at controlling temps, but I am getting much better.

Kevin,
I see what you are saying, where it is essentially roasting, I will need to learn to better manage my fuel to keep my temps where I need them on the performer.
I am pretty set on plunging on the rotisserie based on everyone's feedback. Thanks!
I will post pics of my first go around with it!

Michele--

With a kettle it is either lit fuel amount, bottom vent settings or both to control heat. You can use either alone or combine the two. I usually do the latter.

One way to start is to almost fill both (or just one) baskets with unlit then top with 6-8 lit. (I suggest K Comp for your first few times; switch to lump thereafter if desired.) Have bottom vents barely open. Have meat on the rotis arm ready to load, load it, cover and start the motor. Watch your lid temp. If the rise is too slow and/or doesn't get high enough you open the vent a little more.

Depending on how long you need to cook you can simply add a few unlit coals after a while, repeating later if necessary. If you get waylaid and don't get the unlit in and the temps drop simply get some going and add lit.

For low- or moderate-heat cooks the only thing you need to avoid is having too much lit in there. Still, worse case scenario, you grab your long-handled tongs and remove some if need be.

For high heat cooks (I do chickens, game hens and poussins high) you start with a lot of lit and let her rip.

Like learning to use a WSM, if you make notes (mental or otherwise) of how you set up (vents, unlit and lit amounts, meat type, etc.), you'll get a sense of the dynamics after a few cooks and will scarcely think about it. Really.

Kevin,
I have cut and pasted your last reply for future reference. Thanks for taking the time to lay it out for me. I really appreciate it!
By the way, dare I ask... what are poussins?
(Never mind, I just googled it. Whew! I am glad they are not what I thought they were!
icon_biggrin.gif
)

my appologies. i need to wake up first. for some reason i thought it was already two days. anyway, there is a lot of info now so i think the idea is that a rotisserie is a great choice.

Originally posted by Rick TFC:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
it would be nice if the person asking the questions or posting the original thread would participate in the discussion. rather a dead end issue if not.

Not to be flamitory, but is it possible she may be busy or away from the PC? She actually just asked for recommendations. I often check this forum all day, however there are times I can not check for several days. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Michele... good that you made a choice of getting a rotisserie but sorry that the supplier doesn't have it in stock. I have been rotissing for almost 60 years. But almost all my experience is with whole hogs up to 150 lbs, on a very large home built rotisserie. IMHO it is the best way to roast any meat. As the meat (inc poultry) turns on the spit it self bastes internally and externally with very moist results. I am sure you will be happy with your purchase. Good luck.

joe

Back