Thermometer Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Wilson

I wasn't sure what kind of search term to use for this. I saw on another forum where a guy took one of those tubes that are used for lamp cords and put it through the side of the kettle to pass his thermometer probes through so you don't place the wires under the lid and chance breaking them. Seems like a great cheap mod, but my question is would the leak caused by that hole make it difficult to control tempts inside the grill.

Probably not. Might have to close the top vent just a little more. You could always leave maybe a 1/2 inch or so sticking out and wrap a little foil around it and wire(s) to seal it.

when the probe wires go through the hole, there is very little leakage

don't worry about it.

i used the grommets from cajun bandit, love them.

Excellent! Thank you so much. That will be my first mod this weekend. The next is to come up with some kind of home made smokenator.

I don't recall if it was here or not, but I saw where a guy made a heavy aluminum plate that went up the side like the smokenator and around the grill great on the oposite side of the charcoal that sealed off the oposite side of the charcoal grate. I don't have the skills or to build something like that. Which is to bad, because I think that design is far superior to the Smokentor. I'd rather not have to keep refoiling the charcoal grate, but that might be what I end up doing anyway.

Chris from Cajun Bandit sells nice little grommits. I had him put 2 in my Bandit, then I put one in my Performer...works good..
Just a thought..
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back