Thermometer for the 22.5 OTG??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone added a thermometer to a OTG?? Looking to buy one but really need a thermo for comps.

My first thought is to order the 22 WSM thermometer with bezel and drill the holes needed. Then I saw the Performer thermo setup and like the way it's done. Can it be retro'd to the OTG?

Are there other options to consider?

Russ

Thanks Glenn. That's very close to my first thought. I would install the thermo much higher towards the handle to get it over the meat during an indirect cook. Guess that's the way I'll go.

Russ

I finally got around to calling Weber to order the thermometer and bezel. I made the stupid mistake of telling the lady what I wanted it for. SHE WOULDN"T SELL IT TO ME!! She absolutely refused to take the order! At first I thought she was kidding around but I quickly realized that she wasn't joking. Talk about a pain. So I guess I'll call them back in a day or two and order a "replacement" for my 22 WSM.

The gotcha is that I don't want for them to give me a free one, I want to pay for it. Fun's fun, but I don't want to take advantage.

So a word to the wise, if you're going to call them for a part, don't tell them what you want it for!

Russ

No I believe it has to do with avoiding to pay for a higher priced grill. I had a similar situation when I wanted to add the ash catcher setup from a OTG. I said my dogs were smelling the coals as they were droping. So for saftey sake I wanted to switch it over. She understood my concern and agreed but said that because I didn't own that model I couldn't buy parts for it.

It is lame but I do see their point.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John-Peterson:
No I believe it has to do with avoiding to pay for a higher priced grill. I had a similar situation when I wanted to add the ash catcher setup from a OTG. I said my dogs were smelling the coals as they were droping. So for saftey sake I wanted to switch it over. She understood my concern and agreed but said that because I didn't own that model I couldn't buy parts for it.

It is lame but I do see their point. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So much for that honesty being the best policy routine...
icon_rolleyes.gif

I turned my 18.5 silver to a gold last year and purchased the parts from Weber. I don't remember the conversation, maybe I didn't say what I was doing and Weber never asked. It wasn't cheap but definately worth every penny as I use the grill on a wood deck (with grill mat). Dan

I almost believe the reasoning about getting a higher priced grill by buying the individual parts. Except that I already own an 18 & 22 WSM. Also, I couldn't find a 22 OTG with a Thermometer. I would have bought it if it existed.

I told her I needed the thermometer for competitions so that I can have consistent temperatures, and that's what I really want/need it for. I guess I'll just go buy an el-cheapo thermometer at HD and install it.

That's a real shame since when I go to competitions, I get LOT'S of people walking past and asking questions about my Webers. I would think that Weber management would want somebody who represents them to a lot of people to have stuff that looks sharp and professional. Not some two-bit no-name thermometer mounted on their grill.

Russ

When I first called and explained to the guy what I was doing he then gave me the schpeel about not being able to do it and blah blah blah.

Anyway, the guy also said that because I didnt purchase the grill he couldnt sell me the parts blah blah blah. Now what he did say though was that if I called back when I had that grill, "wink wink", then ordered the parts, "wink wink", he could sell me the parts. Another funny thing, was that he also couldnt sell them because the call may be recorded, and he could get into trouble. Dont you think if the call was recorded and you mentioned that you couldnt sell parts cause the call was possibly being recorded, youd still lose you job?

So maybe calling back and saying that you have that grill? Granted its not being honest but...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Russ Sylvester:
Also, I couldn't find a 22 OTG with a Thermometer. I would have bought it if it existed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>My old OTG had the thermometer. The newer ones don't. Without the thermometer, the difference between the OTG and OTS isn't worth the extra price to me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I guess I'll just go buy an el-cheapo thermometer at HD and install it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's what I did.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That's a real shame since when I go to competitions, I get LOT'S of people walking past and asking questions about my Webers. I would think that Weber management would want somebody who represents them to a lot of people to have stuff that looks sharp and professional. Not some two-bit no-name thermometer mounted on their grill.

Russ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Agreed.

Here's the thermo mod I did on my OTG. I got very lucky and found a free lid to a new weber gasser that was damaged on craigslist.

TermMod10-10-092.jpg

TermMod10-10-0914.jpg

TermMod10-10-0911.jpg

TermMod10-10-0912.jpg

Wow! Thanks Branon, that's exactly what mine will be looking like. I'm going to borrow an end mill from our machine shop for drilling the hole. As a matter of fact, it might be easier just to bring the lid to the shop and promise the machinist some ribs to do it for me.

I called them back and told them a little lie about dropping the lid on my WSM and needing a new thermo and bezel. Really hated doing that but it was the only way I could think of to get the parts and still pay for it. As I said above, I didn't want a freebie as that would be downright dishonest.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back