The Best Way Sear

R.Graves

Hi all,

This is my first time posting. I have been reading posts though, for the past couple of months, mostly in the BBQ section. I have a question that I was not able to answer by searching through the Bulletin Board. The question is, What is the best way to sear? I was planning on doing a reverse sear on a ribeye tomorrow night. So far I know of, using a portable infared searer, which go for 300 bucks on Ebay, some people say the Hibatchi grill works pretty good that goes for about a 100, I have a WSM and could sear next to the coals,I have a cheap gas grill, which I think can get up to 500 degrees full blast and there is the oil in the skillet method. So what method would be the best or is there another method I don't know about? I would really like to improve my steak making abilities. Was planning on using this recipe I found on here:

For the butter: mix 1/4c (1/2 stick) unsalted, softened butter, 1T minced chipotle chiles in adobo, 1t brown sugar, and 1/4t kosher salt.

For the rub: 2t kosher salt, 1 1/2t ancho chile powder, 1t unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/2t ground black pepper, and 1/2t brown sugar

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Ryan,

Welcome to the board!

If you mean a ribeye steak a reverse sear is probably not the best way to cook it unless it's very thick (over 1.5") - ribeyes have a ton of internal fat that needs to render out, that doesn't happen in the short time it takes to cook a thinner steak with reverse sear's low temperatures. I assume you mean a ribeye steak because you talk about your "steak making abilities."

Reverse sear works great for leaner cuts of steak like thick sirloins or top round roast/"london broil." Personally I think a ribeye does best being cooked fast over high heat, with some flame-kissed flavor from the dripping fat flaring up.

If you are talking about a whole ribeye roast aka prime rib roast, then reverse sear is a great way to do it. You don't need to buy any specialized equipment. Just sear it directly over the coals on your WSM, being careful it doesn't flare up/burn too quickly as that fire is HOT!

Regarding searing on your 'cheap gas grill,' I sear on my weber gasser all the time but it has porcelain-coated cast iron grates that retain a lot of heat. Smaller/cheaper grates on other grills don't retain very much heat and aren't fantastic for searing.

If your ribeye is less than 2 inches thick I'd just say fire it up on the WSM over direct heat. 3 minutes, rotate, 3 minutes, flip, 3 minutes, rotate, leave there until it's done. That's just my personal preference though.

I'm not sure there is a best way but there are a few techniques that will improve your sear.

1) Be sure you meat is as dry as possible. Moisture must boil off before the surface can reach temps at which browning will occur.

2) flip often (every minute). Things will progess faster and more evenly. Of course, this advice is more for overall browning rather than just grill marks.

3) let meat come to room temp before cooking. This isn't so much for the sear, but it'll help you get the insides right while you play with the sear.

Good luck

Well JB said most of the stuff with the extra info included of the above posts.

But I rather flip em once or twise depending on thickness ofc.(aslong as we have the indirect part included)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But I rather flip em once or twise depending on thickness ofc.(aslong as we have the indirect part included) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used to be a frequent flipper, then I reduced the flipping to as few as possible, but after reading this, I'm back to flipping like mad.

here's the skinny:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The frequent flipping of the steak ensures that the meat cooks more evenly, which makes sense; but counterintuitively, the one that is flipped more will also be done 30% faster than one that is flipped once or twice.

This technique works well because neither side has enough time to absorb too much heat when it’s on the fire, nor does it lose too much heat when it’s facing away. You also get less of a “well-doneness” layer on the outside of the steak (indicated by the red line in our electronic steaks) and a more even, gradual spread of “doneness” throughout.
steak

When the steaks were “done” we ensured they were cooked to the same internal temperature by putting them in ziplock bags and circulating them for 30 minutes in 56 degree water. The class tasted. The ones that were flipped more frequently were more consistently even throughout, with a nice well-done crust on the outside. The ones flipped only once had a larger proportion of overcooked parts and didn’t even have a better crust—surprising. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Be sure to check the link though, there's some cool graphs of their simulated data.

A ribeye, some lump and a Weber chimney:

I've since purchased the bottom grate for a Smokey Joe and use that over my chimney, works perfectly!

Rest of the pictures HERE

Some good reading J might have to try that out.

Next time i will do 1 flipper and one sleeper and compare.

Thx for sharing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Next time i will do 1 flipper and when sleeper and compare. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd love to see it. I trust Harold Mcgee, Dave Arnold, and I believe Kevin likes this method, but it would be cool to see another independent trial.

I never realized that the chimney works as a grill also, **** - that's my fourth Weber and gonna try it some day with nice beef steak..

I am in no way the best. Just with yalls tips I wanted to show of my vw logos on this bone in strip. Let's here it for good ol volkswagen! Or is it virtual weber?

utf-8BSU1HMDA0ODUtMjAxMDA4MjgtMjE1Mi5qcGc.jpg

Back