Temperature Fluctuations

Brian D.

I have had two successful cooks with my newly built 4.1. One thing I have noticed however have been some temperature fluctuations in both pit probes as well as food probes. If you see in the graph, around 3:15ish, the pit temp drops enough to trigger an open lid and the chicken temp drops too. Any thoughts on why this woud be happening? I am using an Akorn fauxmado.
chicken+rib+graph.png

We need a little more information. What are you attaching to the smoker, PID values, vent settings, etc.?

Sure thing. I'm new to all of this, please forgive me. Here is what is attached to the smoker:
IMG_8567.JPG

I have not installed servo damper, so it is just the fan attached. The tape covers the holes for the servo. I have the top vent just cracked. The PID values are 3, .005 and 5.

Fan is maxed at 50%. Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.

It looks to me like you just need a little bit of PID tuning. You can try increasing the I term slightly to dampen some of the oscillation. Also, raise the lid detect % while you are getting things figured out so that you aren't triggering lid detects until the temp gets much further from setpoint. While in lid detect mode, you are not controlling and that won't help you with your tuning.

Back