Temp and Time, Boned (and infused) Turkey BReast

Bill Bates

Maybe I'm too late, but I have 7# breast (w/solution :mad:) set to go in later today. Have a WSM 18". Will foil water pan and use apple chips (couldn't find chunks) & Kingsford.

QUESTION: Is it better to go 3 hours at 275° or 2.5 hours at 300°=350°? I'm inclined to go longer with lower temp.

What say you?

Thanks and Happy T'giving. Compared to the Pilgrims, we've got a lot to be thankful for.

Bill,
Here is from our fearless leader on the home page. I copied and pasted the section on cook temps from the first link. The second link is Chris's guide to smoking bone in Turkey Breast. I got a 7 bone in Breast going on in a few hours and I will be following the second link.
Cooker Temperature
Turkey is naturally tender and does not benefit from “low and slow” cooking the way a tough old brisket does. I’ve cooked turkeys from 225°F all the way up to 350°F and I’m convinced that 325-350°F is the way to go. This temperature gets the fat under the skin hot enough so that it sautés the skin. At lower temps, the fat just renders out without crisping anything, and the result is rubbery skin.

Another benefit of cooking at 325-350°F is that the turkey will cook as quickly as if you did it in the oven. Don’t worry, the turkey will have plenty of time to pick up whatever smoke flavor you choose to impart to it.

If you insist on cooking at a traditional barbecue temp of 225-250°F, Butterball says that to assure food safety the turkey must reach an internal temperature of 140° within the first 4 hours of cooking. A turkey weighing 12-15 pounds should be fine, but a turkey over this weight should either be cooked at 325-350° or flavor brined in a solution that includes a curing agent like Morton Tender Quick to slow the growth of bacteria.

Why gamble? Just smoke that turkey at 325-350°F. You’ll be glad you did.

To achieve a temperature of 325-350°F, you’ll have to cook with an empty water pan. Methods for running the Weber Bullet at 325-350°F can be found on the Firing Up Your Weber Bullet page.

Back