Tandoori Chicken & Grilled Naan

Bob Miller

TVWBB Member
I wanted to try something a bit different and I've been craving Indian food for a while so I gave this a whirl.

I can't take credit for the recipe that goes to Moose on Smokingmeatforums.com

Ingredients

* 1 (4 to 4 1/2 pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces, skin removed ( Or 8 thighs)
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1/2 white onion, quartered
* 4-6 whole Garlic cloves
* 2 tablespoons chopped ginger
* 1 tablespoon paprika
* 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon chili powder
* 1 teaspoon turmeric
* 1 teaspoon ground coriander
* 1 teaspoon garam masala
* 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
* 1/2 cup plain yogurt
* 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Directions
Using a knife, cut diagonal slices 1-inch apart, and 1/2-inch deep into the larger pieces.

Combine the oil, onion, garlic, ginger, lemon juice and process in a blender or food processor on high speed to a paste. Then add the paprika, salt, cumin, turmeric, coriander, garam masala, and cayenne, and process until well blended. Add the yogurt, and process to a smooth sauce, scraping down the sides to combine all the ingredients. Pour the marinade into either a baking dish or Ziploc bag over the chicken. Turn to coat evenly, rubbing the marinade into the holes and slits. Cover tightly with plastic wrap if using a baking dish, or seal the Ziploc bag, refrigerate for at least 4 hours, and up to 12 hours, turning occasionally.

Set up a charcoal grill for indirect cooking with hot coals banked to one side. If you like a smokier tasting chicken, place a chunk of hardwood over the hot coals. Place chicken on the cool side of the grill and cook for 8 to 10 minutes on the first side. Turn, and cook on the second side for 8 to 10 minutes. Move the chicken to the hot side, and continue cooking, turning chicken pieces every 2 mins or as needed until the chicken is cooked through, but still tender. Let chicken rest 10 mins before serving. Serve with fresh cilantro garnish and lemon slices.

Thee comments -
- I made double the recipe for the sauce/marinade so I had something to dip the Naan in - Highly suggest that
-I found it to be a bit salty - could be the salt in my chili powder or I had a moment in mismeasured
-Cayenne- I have an unusually hot jar of cayanne so adjust your heat accordingly.. I used 1/2 TSP for both batches and the Admiral asked me to cut it with more yogurt to take it down a notch...even so it was still pretty spicy.

IMAG0099 by
IMAG0100 by bobmiller1981, on Flickr

No I don't live in an Italian Deli - I have the NSF color coded cutting food boards. Yes I have the smallest counter tops in North America that's all I got

Finished product- in progress pictures were nothing special so I'll leave them out.

IMAG0103 by bobmiller1981, on Flickr

Final thoughts - As much as I love Indian food, its just not as visually appealing as most of the stuff we BBQ. But If you like Indian, or have never had it I urge you to try this recipe it was super simple and some of the best Indian food I've had. This recipe has made it's way into my recipe book.

Bob,

My wife and I have spent time in India and love that Indian food, but have a hard time finding authentic Indian restaurants and absolutely no authentic recipes. Your food looks outstanding and we'll be trying it soon! Thanks for sharing!

LOVE Indian food, and we have an excellent restaurant here luckily, of which we frequent. Naan is one of my favorite things to make, but the recipe that I use uses mostly yogurt in place of water, and makes a great stiff dough.

I've not done tandoori yet, but it's on my list. I've made plenty of korma and garam masala, both favorites in our house.

Excellent looking meal, and thanks for the little tips in the recipe as well.

Back