3/4 C all-purpose flour
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 C sour cream
1 can cream-style corn, 15oz
4 eggs
4 TBSP canola oil

Measure cornmeal into a narrow bowl, perhaps 6" across. Cover with water, stir. Add water until it stirs well, but use JUST enough water to cover. Allow to sit at least 30 minutes.

Drain off excess (standing) water on top of the corn meal. I simply held a finger against the side of the container and poured.

Mix dry ingredients together, then mix it all together and bake in a greased 9x13 pan @ 375ºF for 40 - 45 minutes.

I made one tonight and sprinkled small diced onion, red pepper and parsley all over the top. It came out awesome!!! Most moist cornmeal I've ever made, everybody ate 2 - 3 pieces.

If you like sweeter cornbread try adding 2 TBSP of sugar and adjust from there.

Recipe came from here, I changed it for 9x13 and added soak the cornmeal step.

Shawn, My favorite CB reipe is Keri's Blue Ribbon CB. But I love the stuff and this sounds like it's def worth trying. Thanks for posting.
icon_cool.gif
I'll make it soon, with the butter though.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...I'll make it soon, with the butter though... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, I'll try the butter too, I just happened to be out so I used canola oil ... posted the recipe as made.

Made this again tonight. Topped with red bell pepper, onion, parsley. Had it with brisket,#5 sauce and some baked beans with apples.

Clarified the recipe about the soak step.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gerry D.:
What does soaking the cornmeal do? Does it help with moisture content? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>that was the idea, it does come out very moist but I haven't tried head to head with one where I didn't soak the corn meal

What if you were to soak the cornmeal in milk or even better BUTTERMILK?
icon_biggrin.gif
Would the flavor come though or would it be a waste?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gerry D.:
Does it help with moisture content? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Absolutely, it hydrates the corn meal. This does two things for corn bread. Makes it very moist, and softens the corn meal giving you a more tender corn bread, not as grainy as non soaked corn meal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Shawn, My favorite CB reipe is Keri's Blue Ribbon CB. But I love the stuff and this sounds like it's def worth trying. Thanks for posting.
icon_cool.gif
I'll make it soon, with the butter though.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed, Keri's Blue Ribbon CornBread is to DIE FOR!

What if you were to soak the cornmeal in milk or even better BUTTERMILK?
icon_biggrin.gif
Would the flavor come though or would it be a waste? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't know, but it sure sounds like a good idea ... I'm trying it next time.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
...not as grainy as non soaked corn meal... </div></BLOCKQUOTE> yeah, that's bang on, a good description of how this turns out

Finally got around to trying this. Nice recipe. I was a little short of sour cream, and added some yellow onion and jalapeno that I'd softened in a pan with olive oil.

Baked in a 12" CI skillet it looked gorgeous coming out of the oven.

Really tasty - thanks for posting.

As far as I know, soaking the corn meal, and the length of time, depends upon the coarseness of the corn meal.

Not sure about exact times - but I like to use fairly coarse stuff, and if you do not let it soak long enough, you get crunchy bits in the cornbread (sort of like chopped-up, undercooked pasta).

Sounds a lot like the sour cream recipe on this site except for this one uses more of the corn meal mixture. Perhaps that's why my recent one was so watery even after nearly an hour in the oven. Thanks for the recipe, I'll give this one a shot, then try the blue ribbon one.

Tim

I made this again recently and I soaked the cornmeal for at least 2 hours this time.

Here's a couple of recent pics:
2010-04-24101.jpg

2010-04-24008.jpg

Back