Summit side burner question

AaronP

TVWBB Fan
I just traded a NG 650 for an LP 450 the guy did not want the side burner. It will fit on the 450 no problem. But will it work since it came off a NG grill?

The NG burner won't work right with LP. You'll get a giant yellow flame.

Try to find an LP valve and swap it. The rest of the burner assembly doesn't care what type of gas is used.

Isn't the valve what the lp tank screws into and has the quick connection for the side burner on it? I did swap that

I had just the opposite. a LP converted to NG. The flipper replaced the bud on the burner with the correct size for NG. I would imagine the same would be true for going the other way.

Dan, what you say makes sense, and the side burners sold as an accessory may well come with the correct spud for changing from one gas to the other...but these burners are visible at all times, so I would be comfortable with lighting it and trying it out.

EDIT: A Google search turns up a Weber 31500 as a replacement spud available for the Weber 67775.

Last edited:
I am finishing a NG to LP conversion on a 2005 summit and all I did was change the orifice in the middle of the burner and it works great!

Thanks, Doug!

Well, there you have it...you need to buy a spud and drill it out for it to work properly. Here's a link to a lookup table as provided by LMichaels:

Find your burner rating in the LP column, then look to the left and find the correct drill size. Maybe you can find one pre-drilled, or buy the drill bit and DIY. EZ-PZ.

Having bought brand new as an accessory the side burner that is now on the Summit in Jon's possession I can tell people thinking otherwise it was sold in two versions NG or LP. It was NEVER a one size fits all. That being said, odds are you may luck out and be satisfied with running the NG version on your LP grill. It will have a much higher output flame BUT Weber made them pretty anemic to begin with. You will not blow yourself up or create an unsafe thing like doing this type of thing inside a closed box. I.E. running NG orifices on LP with the main internal burners. THAT IS dangerous. Give it a go. If you're not happy the orifice is easy to change

So i finally got around to trying this.. its a super high orange flame so i think ill try the swap

Back