Summit s-670 refurbish

John Law

I am refurbishing my grill and I need advice on how to clean the aluminum on the side tables. Thanks in advance
49480505092_be967b6124_k.jpg
[/url]35F9C9ED-E22C-42E1-B5E0-081ACB147230 by John Lawlor, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
I don't believe it's truly aluminum. But there is no cleaning that damage either way. The cheap chrome plating Weber uses just corrodes and flakes away leaving the base metal to corrode even worse. You could try to simply paint it. Honestly if so I would avoid silver as it tends to look trashy. Perhaps a really nice gloss black or such

Ok thanks, I thought it was brushed aluminum or something. I am surprised how much this grill rotted out. It’s been kept on an open covered porch and has never been in the elements.

Last edited:
If it's the same aluminum that's on the side panel of a Genesis you can grind off the old paint with an angle grinder and cup brush. Then you can paint it with a good spray paint.

For those chrome parts, I'm not really sure. I'd probably grind those down as well and see if it's the same aluminum as the sides and use same paint.

Here is a decent discussion on grey paint options:
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?78775-Gray-Paint-Options-for-3XX-Grills

I've never seen anyone paint chrome. I'm thinking you'd have to have a specialty shop do the chrome. If it were my grill, I'd go with grey.

I agree with LMichaels. No paint inside the firebox. Never. It will release toxic fumes. On top of that paint will not stick very well to a porcelain coated surface.

I use it 3x a week, but if for some reason I don’t I will definitely spray it. Thanks for the tip! I was hoping to have it done this weekend but it seems everywhere I look there is something to work on. All the new parts arrived so it’s on me.

Back