Summit S-470 vs. S-670 sear burner

JoseR

I discovered that the sear burner of my S-470 has rotted out after 14 years. The Weber part # is 70865 but I can get the sear burner for the 2008 vintage S-670 for much cheaper (part # 70866). Weber refuses to tell me if the two parts are the same but online resources suggest that the two parts have the same dimensions and look the same. Has anyone istalled a 70866 sear burner from an S-670 on an S-470? Thanks in advance.

I have not but considering the manufacturing costs in making parts, the internals should be the same sans the main fuel rail being longer, 6 vs 4 burners, on the Summits. And since the sear burner runs north/south, their length should be the same and the number of gas holes too. And the connection to the main fuel rail should also be the same inlet size.

If you post a pic of your current spent sear burner rail, I can look at my S670 and offer more definitive input and or pics.

IIRC, the Summit burner tubes are steel. Expensive but they last a good long while.

Curious, how much is Weber asking for the replacement part?

I have not either, but I looked around.

Grillparts.com has a 70865 for $34.40
TheBBQdepot has a 70866 for $40.96

I would get the correct part from grillparts.com and be done with it.

Thanks for the response. I've got a local source to buy S-670 sear burner as part of a kit for a very good price. The S-670 kit has the same main and smoker burners (70306 and 70307) as the S-470 but a different part # for the sear burner (70866 vs 70865), hence my question. I can get the S-670 kit for the same price as an S-470 kit but (of course) it includes two more main burners that I can keep or sell to recover some of the cost. Two or three of my main burners could also use replacement so I'm tempted to get the kit.

Thanks, will definitely take you up on this and post pics later today
Send me a pic of the center sear burner area and I will try to deduce what you have from my S670. Hopefully this will help you build a visual pic of the parts and you can then compare the kits you’re looking at to make your decision.

From Scott’s post above, those prices are very competitive so I wouldn’t overthink this repair replacement either.

Thanks for the response. I've got a local source to buy S-670 sear burner as part of a kit for a very good price. The S-670 kit has the same main and smoker burners (70306 and 70307) as the S-470 but a different part # for the sear burner (70866 vs 70865), hence my question. I can get the S-670 kit for the same price as an S-470 kit but (of course) it includes two more main burners that I can keep or sell to recover some of the cost. Two or three of my main burners could also use replacement so I'm tempted to get the kit.
Based on this, I would buy the 670 kit and install everything, seen you seem to be saying you could use all the other parts. Try the sear burner that comes with the kit. It is probably the same or will at least likely work perfectly well. If for some reason it doesn't, you would have to pick up the 70865 separately, but even with that added cost its not like you would be loosing.

As always, anytime you replace parts on anything, hold up the new part side by side with old part to see how they compare.

I don't know anything about replacement parts but here are descriptions of the 70865 and 70866 from www.grillparts.com:

70865 (https://www.grillparts.com/weber/summit_s-670.asp?product_id=70865)
View attachment 57109

70866 (https://www.grillparts.com/weber/summit_s-670.asp?product_id=70866)
View attachment 57110

Note the variations of the flame carry over channel.
clear as day. no mixing parts due to the flame carry over channel.

great post and research @BFletcher!

@JoseR, i think you're good to go. no pics needed unless you want to continue the research. please advise or confirm.

I don't know anything about replacement parts but here are descriptions of the 70865 and 70866 from www.grillparts.com:

70865 (https://www.grillparts.com/weber/summit_s-670.asp?product_id=70865)
View attachment 57109

70866 (https://www.grillparts.com/weber/summit_s-670.asp?product_id=70866)
View attachment 57110

Note the variations of the flame carry over channel.
BINGO! Thanks for finding this @BFletcher !!!

IMG_5455.jpg

The flame-carrying channel on mine is 5.25" so the S-670 is a half-inch shorter. I guess Weber thought that a quarter-inch shorter flame-carrying channel was OK on the 670, perhaps because the two main burners are closer together? In any case, now I know why they are different part numbers. I genuinely wonder if a quarter-inch shorter on either side would make a difference on my S-470 but I'm guessing Weber found issues with the lighting of the sear burner that required the longer flame channel.

@Brett-EDH , would you mind measuring the sear burner on your 670 just to confirm?

Thanks so much guys, this is a great forum!

BINGO! Thanks for finding this @BFletcher !!!

View attachment 57121

The flame-carrying channel on mine is 5.25" so the S-670 is a half-inch shorter. I guess Weber thought that a quarter-inch shorter flame-carrying channel was OK on the 670, perhaps because the two main burners are closer together? In any case, now I know why they are different part numbers. I genuinely wonder if a quarter-inch shorter on either side would make a difference on my S-470 but I'm guessing Weber found issues with the lighting of the sear burner that required the longer flame channel.

@Brett-EDH , would you mind measuring the sear burner on your 670 just to confirm?

Thanks so much guys, this is a great forum!
I will do so this evening for you. I'm west coast for reference.

The density of the burner tubes, IMO, would be why the spacing is different on the 670 vs the 4XX models. A BTU/Safety issue design is how i interpret the spacing distance.

Of note, your burner tube wear is consistent with my past ownership experience. I am guessing the burnt through tube is closest to the control panel/dials, correct?

I ask because this is how/why the lower cookbox experiences burn through over time. There's too much heat closest to you/control panel/dials which add too much heat/flame over the grill's life. One more reason the Summit's die such an expensive death.

Back