Summit Platinum D6 burner orifice size.

Bob Wallace

Hi everyone,

New guy here!

I have a few questions but will try to take it one at a time.

I own a Summit Platinum D6 (the gas guzzling Cadillac of grills!) and I still love it. Nearly twenty years old and still going pretty strong with just a couple of issues.

I have smoked many a Baby Back Rib and Pork Butt on it.

But when I really want to waste propane I will get her flavorizers red hot and grill my one Costco ribeye!

Anyway,here is my first issue. One of the burners won’t light.

It’s not getting any gas (propane). I took the gas orifice nut out and the gas flowed freely.

It didn’t look plugged though.

So I took the orifice from another burner and swapped them.

The one that didn’t work now works and the one that did work doesn’t. So the problem is the orifice! Even though it seems to not be plugged.

I have no explanation for this since I am not versed in stove and gas flow control stuff.

In doing this I noticed that some of the other burners, while working seem to have less flow than others.

So I decided that I would just try to replace all the brass orifices (orify?).

I have seen here people converting from NG to propane, but I just want to replace the ones I have but can’t seem to find what orifice opening I need.

The burners are rated at 57,000 BTU . But there are six burners. So do I need an orifice that is rated for 57,000/6=9,500BTUs?

I see some on Amazon that are.5 mm opening but not sure what BTU that is for or if they will fit on the burner valve.

Sorry if that was long winded but I was trying to be clear about the issue.

So, can anyone point me as to what size I need and where I can buy them?

Thanks everyone!

Welcome Bob, I believe you and understand the problem. I just can't believe that an orifice could go bad. It has no moving parts, it's just a little chunk of brass with a hole drilled in it to let gas through it. I would double check that it isn't plugged up by reaming it out with a piece of wire or soaking it in a solvent. Blowing compressed air through it couldn't hurt either. Unfortunately, I can't offer any advice on replacement.

Back