Summit 420 Knob Replacement/Protection

KaleoKahu

Hi, I'm new here, so please bear with me if I'm covering plowed ground.

I was bequeathed a gently-used Summit 420 by a neighbor who was moving out of the country. I've enjoyed it a lot, but one thing that's bothered me is how worn away the markings are on the main burner control knobs. I bought a replacement set from grillparts.com (good price, BTW: 4 delivered for $32.95).

I didn't want the markings on the replacement set to wear off, too. So I considered lacquering the knobs before installation. I found this board, but didn't find any info specific to this. Anyway, before I was "approved", I called Weber. Also no information--they couldn't even tell me what plastic is used for the knobs.

I've gone ahead and laquered the grey part of the knobs. The chromed faces pop right off, so there was no overspray. I used Rustoleum clear lacquer 1906830, and they turned out nice. Hopefully, this will stop or slow the loss of knob markings.

What have the experts here done to deal with this issue?

Also, can anyone tell me if there's a Summit 420 hacks thread anywhere? I've already added a rotisserie, but I'd like to retrofit a side burner for it. Anyone done that?

Thanks!

Back