suggestions for a weber 22.5

Mitch Durham

good day
I recently purchased a weber 22.5 and am looking for an automatic temperature control system. I own a green egg and use the bbq guru for my over- night cooks; however, I don't know what product would be best to use with the weber.
Any suggestions and/or advice would be most appreciated.
Thanks
mitch

I'm looking for an ATC system for my 18 1/2" WSM also. Not because I need one, the WSM is very temperature stable and very easy to control. I want one mainly as a convenience. It can be a real sleep saver for an overnighter as well.

For me, it came down to the BBQ Guru DiqiQ DX2 and the Rock's Bar-B-Que Stoker, which is a WiFi unit. Now BBQ Guru has a WiFi model coming out, so the waters are muddy.

One thing I do not like about the Stoker is, AFAIK, it does not have an automatic open lid detection feature, it is manual. The DX2 has an automatic feature that is said to work well.

If you want an ATC system right away, they all seem to perform as advertised, keeping your pit temperature constant. You probably couldn't go wrong with any of them. Their individual features and prices are what separates them.

I'm going to wait for more information on the new BBQ Guru WiFi unit before I pull the trigger on one. I'm also interested in reading the replies on this thread to help me make my final decision.

Bob

Kinda depends on how many bells/whistles you want. For about $140 you can get the Auber which snaps right on the weber vent, and has a large LED temp display on the unit. It does a great job (FYI I am an owner but otherwise not affiliated in any way.) The less-costly units typicaly do not have any kind of probe/monitoring of the meat temp, no wi-fi or internet connection, no software or graphing capabilities.

If you want fancy, you can fork over $400-600 to get those types of devices.

I have a 22.5" WSM and have used the Auber 20+ times with excellent results. I use the Maverick remote thermo to remotely monitor grill temp and meat temp. I sleep well knowing the Auber will hold the temps for me.

MHO

I use a digiq 2 on my WSM 18.5 and it works well. I don't think it'd have any problems with the 22.5 since I normally close my damper down to about one-half anyway. I have the 10 cfm fan and I think it's recommended for both the 18.5 and 22.5.

I don't have any experience with the other ATCs, although I've purchased a pitmaster ique 110 to use on one of my kettles. Haven't used it yet.

Mitch,

I'm loving my BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 on my WSM. For just the cost of an additional adapter you could easily switch yours over to your WSM. I have the 10 cfm fan on mine and it does well although it struggled to keep the WSM (mine's an 18.5) at 350* with a 16# brisket and a foiled empty water pan. Once I foiled the brisket at 170* and took the pan out, it maintained 350* with ease. I've ordered a 25 cfm fan to try for big high-heat brisket cooks.

Dave

i have 2 cyber q II's and i love them. this weekend i ran my 22 for 22+ hours on about 15 lbs of k... if you already have a guru i would just buy the adapter for the the WSM and rock and roll!!!!

Is it a 22.5 WSM or 22.5 Kettle?

Do you cook on both of them at the same time? It seems like with the correct adapter you could use the BBG Guru for both.

What do you plan on cooking and using the ATC for?

Back