Stokerlog + Sonos = A Winning Combination

Peter_M

TVWBB Member
I've recently reconfigured my Stoker/Stokerlog set up.

One of the things that has changed is that I now run Stokerlog on my home automation server, which lives remote to the living area of my house in the machine room.

The benefit to this is that this PC is always on. It also runs my lighting controller and some day other software related to home automation. It is a low power machine. (My powerful workstation is not always on; a problem with overnight smokes.)

I access it via VNC, which is great, I now access it from multiple clients, including my desktop workstation, laptop, and ipad.

The downside to this set up was that there are no speakers connected to this server, so Stokerlog alarms became no longer audible in the living area.

One of the ways I addressed this worked really well, that is what I am sharing here. (the other way, which is an audio line out run to the kitchen to power pc speakers I have not used yet.)

I took the line out of the Stokerlog machine and (after "Y" for running to the kitchen) ran it into the audio line in of a near by Sonos Zoneplayer.

In the Sonos ZonePlayer settings, I have set this line in to auto play in the kitchen, which is central to my open floor plan house.

Now, when a Stokerlog alarm goes off, it auto plays in the kitchen, overriding whatever source is currently playing. It can be set to play only in the kitchen, or in other linked zones, which could be useful for overnight cooks, just link the Master Bedroom and get alerted to any alarms.

It works really well. I did have to set Windows Sound to "No Sounds", so that no other sound comes out.

Pete

Back