StokerLog Air

Jeff Bower

I've been finding quite a few slick looking applications for Adobe Air. The best thing about them is I can use them on my Windows 7 PC, my OSX Mac (not my favorite...), and my Ubuntu laptop and they all work pretty much identically. I know it's a longshot and pretty much a complete rewrite, but I'd love the cross-platform support. Any chance this is in the cards for StokerLog?

I have recently been thinking about rewriting the app in Silverlight (really WPF/E). AIR is adobe's response to that technology
icon_smile.gif
. Silverlight would provide Mac compatibility just the same. It does not work on Linux though but I didn't think there was much demand for it there.

Anyway, it is probably an intensive 1-2 month porting and debugging effort.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amir:
I have recently been thinking about rewriting the app in Silverlight (really WPF/E). AIR is adobe's response to that technology
icon_smile.gif
. Silverlight would provide Mac compatibility just the same. It does not work on Linux though but I didn't think there was much demand for it there.
Anyway, it is probably an intensive 1-2 month porting and debugging effort. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I would be willing to help in anyway possible. I think this would be great!
How can i help? Cash or labor?

Chalk me up in the category of "would like to have it available on the Mac". I'd be glad to help in the testing, or in some other way, perhaps?

It seems to me a greatly enhanced WEB interface (served up by the Stoker) would eliminate cross platform compatibility problems.

Here is an application I am working on:
BBQ monitor
It's in a test mode, with some quirky test data loaded. Let it run for a minute or so.

I doesn't interface directly to the Stoker but it wouldn't take much to that.

Curt

That looks pretty nice. The only thing I don't see shown on the display is the ability to enter set-points for temperatures, but I guess that's probably related to your comment "doesn't interface directly".

If you need a tester, I'll volunteer!

Dave

I've been moving more towards Linux for a lot of work stuff, but I'm hoping that SilverLight will be ported there a bit more thoroughly (whether it's actually SilverLight or Novell's MoonLight project).

As for a native Stoker web interface, I'd much rather see Stoker move towards just a thin API for a PC-based management system. The reasoning for that is that I doubt the Stoker platform can support some of my feature requirements regarding security and advanced routing (for example, I'd rather ssh into a system at home to load up the StokerLog interface in a VNC/RDP/Citrix/VMWare session than expose StokerLog directly rather than the HTTP interface). Besides, it's much more fun to be able to delude myself into thinking I'll have time to create my own widgets to do stuff like Twitter-based temperature changes and the like
icon_biggrin.gif

*Note, edited to remove brain fart confusing Stoker and StokerLog above - they must have just grown synonymous in my mind
icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the offer to help guys. Here are some of the barriers to getting it done:

1. Availability of tools. I don't work for Microsoft anymore so don't have Expression suite for creating silverlight and obviously, don't have AIR development tools either. For Expression I can go and beg my old friends and pay employee price but havent' wanted to impose on them that way. For AIR, I don't have such option.

2. Telnet interface. The browser sandbox stops the browser centric interface from getting access to Telnet port over TCP I think. And unfortunately, without telnet we are stuck with 7 second update period from stoker. On positive front, it does make porting easier as the Telnet code with asynchronous interface was a lot of work to debug.

I wonder if AIR exposes system APIs like sockets for telnet.

3. As for an API interface, this takes too much time to design and test. But if someone wants to design and implement it based on what stokerlog already does, I can then call their object and pass on the data as appropriate.

5. Graph control. This is the biggest issue. We need to have a rich control like the one I am using. I guess I can use anything but it needs to have the functionality like putting notes, etc. on the graph. I have searched repeatedly for free control but have not found anything. There are some for sale but cost hundreds of dollars for unlimited distribution.

5. Time do all of this. I have lost count but stokerlog is tens of thousands of lines long right now. The solution might be to priotorize the features. Perhaps we go back to what stokerlog 2.0 was or something like that as the target for initial release.

BTW, don't think about asking to enhance the stoker HTTP interface. It is not going to happen. The box is tight on memory and as I noted above, very slow as it is.

So maybe we should use this thread to brainstorm on how we would go about it and then see if there is enough there to embark on the project collectively.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Curt Timmerman:

Here is an application I am working on:
BBQ monitor
It's in a test mode, with some quirky test data loaded...

Curt </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am getting close to finishing the presentation part of this project (still need to work on the help section).

After clicking the link, hit the green 'Start Monitor' button (upper left area). After a few seconds the graph should fill with 10 hours of data. Clicking the green 'Elapsed' button will toggle between elapsed/clock time.

This graph now contains data actually pulled from my Stoker, but not from a smoking session. For testing I put the 3 probes in my freezer, refrigerator, and on top of the refrigerator.

Zooming is done by 'left clicking' somewhere on the graph and dragging the cursor to highlight the area to be zoomed. A single click on the graph returns to the full view. The zoom behavior can be changed with the Zoom dropdown.

This application was developed on Firefox and very lightly validated with IE8.

Curt

Also: I have not split out any of the javascript/css/html yet. If you view the source you will see all of the client side coding.

Back