Stoker Sartup Same On XL As WSM?

D Arita

TVWBB Fan
I'm wondering if the Stoker startup sequence would be the same on my Primo as it is with the WSM? WSM folks say to light a few coals, then start stoker right away to let it do the work. Primo folks say get to a stable target, well below your intended target, then inch your way up, otherwise you'll get tremendous swings for hours.

I dont have a primo, but I have used my ique110 on my eggs and bubba keg for a while. I can say that you want to only start with a little lit coal, and let the stoker bring it up to temp on its own. So I would say it is the same as the wsm. The stoker is managing the fire, you just need to get it started and it will do the rest.

I have a ceramic smoker similar to Primo. I usually start the stoker as soon as I light a fire. But that sometimes causes issues in that when the first overshoot occurs, it might last a while during which, stoker does not turn on the fan. By the time the temps come down to target, the fire can actually be out and no amount of blowing the fan does any good!

I use different strategies to deal with this. One is to set a lower target initially. Once there, then set it to the new target. So if I want 260, I might set it to 230 first. Then to 260. If I forget and the overshoot has gone on for a while, I push the temp above the current level for a few seconds to cause the fan to come on. Then I adjust it back. This also stops the fire from dying out.

Longer term, I may put this automation in stokerlog in a feature I call, "don't let the fire die." When set, stokerlog monitors how long the fan has been off and will force a pulse once in a while to make sure the fire doesn't die out.

Does anyone know of Stoker actually runs tests on all smokers they sell accessories for? After speakng with them, I get the feeling that they've tested a BGE and a WSM, bit not really a Primo. I would think they would test all the cookers that they sell to.

I don't think it is necessary for them to run such tests. Unless a design is radically different, I think the adaptive mechanism they have is sufficient to cope with it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Arita:
Does anyone know of Stoker actually runs tests on all smokers they sell accessories for? After speakng with them, I get the feeling that they've tested a BGE and a WSM, bit not really a Primo. I would think they would test all the cookers that they sell to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How many different cookers do you expect that that might be? Hundreds? Thousands? How much testing on each unit would be enough? Who would you like to pay for this testing? That could easily double, triple or even quadruple the price of each accessory. Looking out on my deck, patio, driveway and front yard, I see 4 different BRANDS of smokers, and 5 models of one particular BRAND. I haven't even run tests on each of these (yet) that would give data useful to someone asking questions such as yourself. Should Stoker's testing involve each model of each brand? I don't think that Stoker has been in business long enough to thoroughly test every model of every brand as you suggest. Adding employees and purchasing the smokers could make the basic Stoker unit cost well over the cost of a brand new Pick-em-up- Truck.

BOB

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amir:
I don't think it is necessary for them to run such tests. Unless a design is radically different, I think the adaptive mechanism they have is sufficient to cope with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm sure you're right. Guess I'm just frustrated that I can't get a handle on something that should ne automatic. I've been told that Gurus have no problem controlling XLs. That being the case, I can't imagine stoker not being able to do the same.

For those who have following this thread, an update....
I taped off about 2/3 of the opening for the fan. I started the XL with the torch in two places...closed the lid and started up the Stoker.

1 hour - 15 degree over shoot, then 3 degrees under when fan turned on.
1 1/2 - 6 degree overshoot, then 3 degree under when fan turned on.
2 hours - 5 degrees overshoot, then 8 degrees under when fan on.
2 1/2 - 8 degree overshoot, then 7 degrees under when fan on.

Clearly, an improvement by closing off 2/3 of the fan output...from 60 to 70 degree swings, down to under 16 degree swings. I must be getting closer.

Why did the fan come on at 3 degrees under target after the first hour, then allowed to go 8 degrees under before coming on at the second hour? When the fan came on at 3 degrees under, I really thought I was going to hold to single digit swings, but it seems like the less the overshoot was, the greater the undershoot was allowed to go before than fan turned on. If the stoker learns, then why was the undershoot allowed to get further and further from target?
I really hope someone can explain what's going on here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amir:
Do you have stokerlog graphs you can post? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not yet. I wanted to make sure the stoker worked before setting up the computer and all. Also, the cooker is quite a ways from the computer, so I'd have to figure that one out first.
Spoke with Kevin at Rock's and he's going to talk to John about this latest test. Kevin couldn't figure out why the blower wasn't coming on sooner. I'll let you know what he says.

Amir, is it possible that the Primo is too efficient for the 10 cfm fan? Could the larger fan be pushing in too much air, blocked off or not.

Back