Stoker Problem

CharlesF

So my stoker tonight started flashing all the probes and clicking when I have the fan plugged in. This pretty much renders it the most expensive thermometer ever.

Any suggestions? I've used this dozens of times w/ out issue now tonight blam nothing. I've tried changing ports or different combinations of connections but in any case if the fan is plugged in flashing lights and a clicking sound.

Sounds to me like it may be a problem with the fan cable or connections. I had a situation where the fan got wet, particularly the plug end, and had similar problems. In my case, drying things out with a blow dryer fixed it.

I'm wondering if it had anything to do with the bitter bitter cold temperatures last night. I've never let it get wet and I store it in a water proof container just in case.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CharlesF:
I'm wondering if it had anything to do with the bitter bitter cold temperatures last night. I've never let it get wet and I store it in a water proof container just in case. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Take it inside and see. That's an easy check.

Over the years many people have talked about having to put a heating pad on their Stokers because of the cold.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Finney:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CharlesF:
I'm wondering if it had anything to do with the bitter bitter cold temperatures last night. I've never let it get wet and I store it in a water proof container just in case. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Take it inside and see. That's an easy check.

Over the years many people have talked about having to put a heating pad on their Stokers because of the cold. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hmmmm .... that's interesting. I've been storing my stoker in my (unheated) garage in a wwater resistant containter. The ambient temperature was circa 25°F when I was setting up my last cook, and the stoker was acting a little strange. But it righted itself in short order and I didn't think much of it. Sounds like it might be a good idea to consider a heating pad inside the plastic box I use to protect it from weather (rain, dew, snow, etc) and a towel wrapped around it to insulate it.

I use a heating pad in my plastic container. It keeps the Stoker and wireless bridge warm. I have more troubles with the wireless bridge in the cold temps than I do the Stoker. Also have to make sure to turn off the heating pad once the outside temp starts to get warm - the electronics don't like hot temps anymore than the cold temps.

Back