Stoker -I need help.

Robert Clark

TVWBB Pro
I will try and explain this the best I know how.

I am trying to set up the stoker to access from a wireless network.

I can access the stoker when hooked up to my router.

I can access my wireless bridge (linksys WGA54G) when hooked up to my computer.

I can access my wireless network through the wireless bridge when hooked up to my computer.

When I unhook the wireless bridge and connect it to the stoker, I cant access either.

I am usually good with this kind of stuff, but I am totally baffled.

Do you mean you have a hardwired Ethernet connection to the stoker but have a wireless connection to your PC?

I followed YankeeRobs Stoker Setup Part 5 video,
but when I hook the gaming adaptor up to my wireless pc (disconnected from my network) to configure, the gaming adaptor connects to my wireless network.

The problem I am having is - the gaming adaptor wont connect to my network when connected to the stoker only.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amir:
Do you mean you have a hardwired Ethernet connection to the stoker but have a wireless connection to your PC? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My pc is wireless.

When I first got the stoker and wanted to see if I could access it thru the computer, I plugged it into the ethernet port of my wireless pc but I could not access it.

I then plugged the stoker into my modem/wireless router and could access the stoker from my wireless pc.

Robert,

I had some trouble too and by no means an expert, but have some experience working with all of this. It sounds like your bridge is not configured correctly or the Stoker is not getting the IP address from the bridge, since you can connect to the Stoker when the bridge is not in the path. I had problems with my bridge setup, but here is what I did and finally worked for me, and it may help you:

--I take it that you know your wireless network configuration info (SSID, using WEP, WPA, WPA-2, etc., MAC authentication enabled, etc.) First step is to connect the wireless bridge to your laptop via an ethernet cable. Then make sure your wireless NIC on your laptop is turned off and see if you can connect to the wireless network thru the bridge. (want to make sure you are connecting to your wireless network via your bridge and not your internal wireless card) If you can then your bridge is configured correctly. If not, then the bridge config is probably not totally correct.....connect to the bridge via its IP address and input the same configuration settings as your wireless network which will enable the bridge to connect to the network.
--I had trouble trying to set the Stoker with a static IP, so I left the Stoker configured to get dynamic IP addresses.
--I did have trouble getting the Stoker to connect to the network, but it works every time now when I follow this procedure: with the Stoker and bridge both off, turn the bridge on first. My bridge has indicator lights when it finally acquires the wireless network. When these lights are lit, then connect the ethernet cable from the bridge to the Stoker and turn the Stoker on. The IP address the bridge has connected to the wireless network will then be transferred to the Stoker.
--Then I use my laptop, connect to the wireless router to see the devices on the wireless network. You should see an IP address for the bridge and a separate IP address for the Stoker. Note the IP address for the Stoker and then enter that into your web browser to access the web interface for the Stoker. (also enter it into StokerLog if you are using that)
--Every time I do this now, the IP address stays the same for the Stoker even though it is dynamic because I don't have any other additional or new wireless connections to my network. So I don't even check my router to see what the Stoker IP address is.....I just enter into my web browser and StokerLog. If you do have other wireless connections that come and go on your network, then the IP address may change from cook to cook, but you just check what it is and use that to access the Stoker or input into StokerLog.

This worked for me and I hope it may help some for you. The big thing it turned out for me was to let the bridge acquire wireless network access and get an IP address before connecting it to the Stoker, then turn the Stoker on.

Good luck,
Kg

Also, one more thing now that I think about my issues. I bought a Linksys wireless bridge and I could not get the supplied configuration CD to work with my laptop to set the configuration settings to the bridge. So I just resorted to doing the config settings for the bridge manually, by accessing the bridge through a web browser using its default IP, then entering the standard login info for the bridge which should be in the manual, and then configure the settings manually to match my wireless router access settings.

I was about to send the bridge back when I finally gave up on the config CD and did it manually. Ever since then, it has worked extremely well.

Good luck,
Kg

Thanks for all the help.

I finally got it working and I knew it was something stupid on my part.

The cable I use to connect the bridge to the pc when configuring must have be a crossover cable I guess.

I used the cable I connect my XBOX360 to my router and it worked fine.

Again - thanks for the replies!!

I am smart at times and other times not!!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Great Robert! If you are still having trouble with the MAC authentication, then it is on the router. You need to find out the MAC addresses of your laptop and stoker first. Then in the router config settings, sometimes under Advanced or something like that there is a MAC authentication enable option and you need to insert the MAC addresses. Then your router will only allow those MAC addresses into your network and no others.

Good luck,
Kg

Back