Stoker access via the Internet question

j lewis

I addes this as a reply to another thread as I did not understand how the interface worked for this forum. I am putting the same topic in it's own thread. Thanks

I have spent the last couple of days reading this forum and by far this is the best clearinghouse of info on the stoker!

I have a situation to throw out to you folks for some advice on what to try next. I am helping a friend setup his stoker at his commercial BBQ place so he can actually start to get some sleep at night.

I got the stoker on the internal network and it works great. It is using a bridge to an access point and we have no issues with this. We have been able to get stokerlog running fine on a PC on the internal network.

The main reason he got this was to monitor the temps from home via the internet or his blackberry. So far it has been a bust trying to get to the stoker from the outside.

We tried getting to the stoker using the Road Runner dynamically assigned ip with no success.

We set up both a url at dynddns.com and then later at dlinkddns.com so the Dlink DIR-615 rounter would keep the url updated automatically. This is also working and when I log into the account at dlinkddns.com it shows it is active and it is correct.

I forwarded port 80 in the router to the stoker ip address, then later put the stoker into the DMZ with no improvement.

I still cannot get to it from outside his private network. I have checked the current ip address assigned by Road Runner to the cable modem and have it correct.

I think this is my root issue - I cannot get a successful ping to the cable modem's ip address from anywhere via the internet. I can ping the modem successfully from inside the private network, I can also get to the dns, the gateway etc... When I use the url created at dynddns.com and dlinkddns.com and get a "Oops! This link appears to be broken" for both of these. The same if I just type in the ip address into the browser.

Could it be that Road Runner blocks doing this? Any of you folks experienced this or have any thoughts what to try next? Kinda of pulling out my hair at this point. Thanks - John in Austin

A lot of ISPs block port 80. Try another port. Also how are you entering the URL from the remote computer?

I went to a coffee shop this morning not on the Road Runner Network and was able to ping the address from the net

Ping 67.79.222.230
[rrcs-67-79-222-230.sw.biz.rr.com]

Round trip time to 67.79.222.230: 52 ms
Round trip time to 67.79.222.230: 30 ms
Round trip time to 67.79.222.230: 34 ms
Round trip time to 67.79.222.230: 60 ms
Round trip time to 67.79.222.230: 35 ms
Round trip time to 67.79.222.230: 29 ms
Round trip time to 67.79.222.230: 33 ms
Round trip time to 67.79.222.230: 28 ms
Round trip time to 67.79.222.230: 28 ms
Round trip time to 67.79.222.230: 59 ms
Average time over 10 pings: 38.8 ms

but when I put the same address into the browser I cannot get connected
this is how it is entered in IE http://67.79.222.230

when I put in either of the dynamic urls I get errors also
fbbq.dlinkddns.com or fbbq.endofinternet.org
I have checked both of these and they both point to 67.79.222.230

now I can ping from inside roadrunner network to where the BBQ store is - 67.79.222.230 and get a response.

maybe road runner is blocking ports?

Back