Stains on my Platinum Work Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Whiting

TVWBB All-Star
I have a few stains on the Thermoset Work Table to my OTG Platinum that I cant seem to get out with standard cleaning products or even heavier duty stuff such as Greased Lightning.
icon_frown.gif

Any ideas?

Did you try Bar Keepers Friend or Bon Ami? Both are scouring powders but are non abraisive I use whichever we have on hand all the time.
icon_wink.gif

I had the same problem. But mine was also cracked and when I spoke to Weber they said that is was covered under warranty. The new side tables are the darker color like on the current performer

Steve
Without any description of the stain and what you think has caused it, it's verydifficult to provide a solution. Generally the stains on the thermoset plastic are surface stains and it would depend on the viscosity if they have become intergranular/sub-surface types. Bon AMI is actually an abrasive scouring powder just very fine. Water mixed with the bon ami creates a caustic mixture whick will penetrate the top layer forcing out some types of stains. The abrasive component opens up the grain structure and removes the surface staining allowing the sub-surface stain to bleed through.

I clean my Performer thermoset table with boiling hot soapy water and a scouring pad for stubbon stains. If they don't come off - well it is a BBQ after all.

Regards

Just use the Bon-Ami last night to remove a rust stain left from me leaving a can of Pam on the table overnight.

Works great.

Phil,
Not sure what caused the stain-The Platinum was a craigslist purchase and it was there when I got it. I tried Bar Keepers Friend and after 3 scrubbings with it the stain is almost invisible. When doing this I did not stay exclusive to the stained area but applied the cleaner to the entire table. I have noticed that the table seems to have lost some color and is whiter then before.

Steve
I am guessing that the loss of colur is actually loss of sheen of the plastic because of the abrading of the barkeepers friend on the surface. You can try and use a car polish on the table top and buff it up this should give it a shine and the colour should come up. The plastic has a consistant colour throughout so it stands to reason that it is due to loss of sheen. As always try on a small test area first. You can also try buffing it with cooking oil and a pair of panty hose (borrow some from "Her Indoors" )

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back