SS Performer Red EZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Berry

TVWBB Fan
Picked up this one yesterday for $50. Found it on craigslist and the guy only lived a few miles away. Talked him down from his asking price of $100 because the bottom bowl is rough to say the least. Almost didn't get it at all but I still had to have it....it's red....I was wondering if there were any quick fixes to maybe stop the rusting. Also, the one toch system works OK but should be replaced. The ring is held on differently than the newer OTGs. Does anyone know if Weber still has the same replacement part or would I have to get a new ring along with the rest of the system? If the attachment works you can see the problems. The other 2 are after a good cleaning and re-assembly. There's even a very small pin hole where one of the bad spots rusted through. Any restoration advice would be great...might make a good project for next winter. Or, I may just cook on it till it falls apart.http://i847.photobucket.com/al...r%20EZ/S36000073.jpghttp://i847.photobucket.com/al...r%20EZ/S36000063.jpghttp://i847.photobucket.com/al...r%20EZ/S36000142.jpghttp://i847.photobucket.com/al...r%20EZ/S36000122.jpg

Boy, that bowl did get beat up didn't it. Looks like someone purposely beat the bottom with something. Hope someone can lend you a method to restore this. I did see someone else on this site bought a new Brick Red Performer bowl and lid from Weber to refurb a SS Performer.
Good luck

Owww, my eyes! Weber abuse is never pretty. That is worse than my old black Performer that I just bought.

Good news is that the leg sockets look like the new style so you 'should' be able to snap in a new ash ring and pan.

Bad news, it is pretty rusted. You may be able to get 5-10 years out of it if you baby the grill.

The other bad news is RED. Weber doesnt have it any more. I am the guy that davidb refers to as having the new brick red parts. They are not cheap.

The Lid in brick red (part 80721) is $57.30 (includes damper vent with handle and lid handle. Thermometer NOT included.) Part number 70180 for $7.40 for the thermometer

The bowl in red (part 80724) is $ 83.20 (includes nothing else. Ash cleaner assembly part # 90720 is $7.70)

BLACK PART NUMBERS AND PRICES
-------------------------------
10390 old style black bowl $39.79
90073 Black bowl $52.14

Let me know if there are any other parts or prices you need to know about.

Weber generally does not have the bar that holds the ash catcher ring on the older models. I had to retro fit mine by taking a wide cutting blade and my Dremel tool and make a slot onto each leg into which the tab on the new style ash catcher ring can be inserted.

As for the bowl, mine had a couple of spots but nothing like yours. I found some high temperature grill paint in red that is a pretty close match for the grill color and touched those spots up (after I sanded down the rust spots). I suspect this will have to be an annual maintenance item.

The swap out of the one touch system is pretty easy but you likely will have to cut off the ash sweeper handle so you can remove the old ash sweeper assembly. The One Touch sweeping replacements are only about 10 bucks and the local ACE hardware affiliate carries them in stock, along with grill grates (I like the SS ones with the flip up sides to add charcoal) and charcoal grates.

Despite the cosmetic flaws, your bowl should be serviceable for some time to come.

Weber does have the grill covers for the older style performers.

Good luck with your project - if it had been in my area, I would have bought it - and I already have one!

Pat

Thanks guys for the responses. For now I'm just gonna hold off on spending much money on this one. If I keep my eye ou, I'll probably find another one in better shape and probably cheaper than buying new parts. Besides, it looks great util you bend over and look underneath and i'm sure it will still cook fine especially over direct heat...burgers and steaks. I've been wanting a red head ss performer, now I have one but I'll find a better one....i'm a collector....I'm sick....the hunt is still on.....

I need a barn man.

Just a suggestion,but maybe you could find some engine enamel spray paint to cover the outside? You might have to do the whole thing,but it should hold up to the heat. Then hit the inside with some BBQ paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back