SS Performer Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDOwens

TVWBB Super Fan
Here is a photograph of a Performer. Is there something missing in the lower righthand corner? It seems like there should be something there.

3672022885_3c7863c919.jpg

Dunno. This is for sale and I am contemplating it. As I look at the photograph, it looked weird there, so I asked.

I was thinking it may have something to do with the gas-assist.

That hole is for access to the propane tank shutoff valve. Looks like the tank is hanging there. The ss top folds down and covers all that. Looks to be in pretty good shape! How much they asking.

Not only is nothing missing from the lower right hand corner, but it looks to me as though the propane tank is the newer style with OPD overflow protection. That means you can get it refilled. A lot of the older Performers have the old tank that is no longer legal to refill.

Bill

Well, I am back with this Performer . . . just in time for the rain storm.

3676517904_d1be234a25.jpg

When I showed up, I inspected this. I pointed out a few things and ended up getting this for $50. Yeah me.

But there are a few things I could use help with. I am not particularly handy but am willing to try to resolve a few things.

There is rust.

Two spots like this on the outer side of the kettle.

3676521058_14675d3d6d.jpg

A spot on the frame:

3676520696_98aa7e37ce.jpg

The lid has a fine surface scratch in one spot. The lid is speckled. The bowl isn't. What would cause this? The photograph is not the best.

3676518448_89d5d218b7.jpg

Also, I could not figure out how to detach the wheels and axle for transporting. I ended up turning the grill on its side to get into the Jeep. The attachment of the wheels, which I think will need to be replaced eventually (at the end of the restoration), is not something that seemed to unscrew.

I appreciate any direction you can offer. The gas appears empty. I haven't attempted using it yet.

Nothing but a couple cosmetic blemishes...on the bright side...it obviously wont affect the cooking quality in any way. When I restored mine, I had a few minor nicks on my bowl as well. I used Duplicolor hight heat 1200 paint, blended nice and will hold up. the frame...nothing a little paint cant fix. A few battle wounds are expected on an older grill. Overall..looks like you got a super deal...congrats and great find.

The specks on the lid is likely from dust or pollen that got baked on. I've seen that on some of the used Kettles I've gotten. If you have a brass brush, you can use that without scratching the paint. Alternatively, get the lid wet, sprinkle some baking soda and scrub using scotch-brite (I use the less abrasive blue one). The baking soda acts as a mild abrasive. I use this method on a lot of things (pots, pans, stove top, enamel and SS parts of the grill, etc.) as well. It works like a charm.

The corrosion spot on the bowl looks to be from where the lid rests against the bowl when in the lid holder. Hit the rust with some sandpaper to rid, then cover with paint as suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back