Squash Casserole

Jeff S

TVWBB Pro
This is my Momma's Squash Casserole recipe and every time someone makes it, they always tell me it is the best they have ever had. Hope you enjoy:

6-7 med squash sliced
1 small onion
1 sleeve saltines
1 stick of butter
White Sauce
2-3 cups grated American Cheese or Velveeta
Salt and Pepper

White Sauce
In a sauce pan, form a rue by melting 2 tblsp butter and adding 2 tblsp flour. Stir over med heat until rue is cooked. Start with a cup of milk and gradually pour in a little bit at a time. Continuously stirring. You will end up adding a little more milk until you get the consistency of a pourable sauce. Add in 1/4 - 1/2 cup of grated cheese until melted.

Casserole.
Boil Squash and onion. Pour into buttered 9x13 pan or any casserole dish. Salt and pepper. (At this point, is throw about 6 slices of butter over the squash!) Next crush your sleeve of saltines and spread over cooked squash. Spread shreaded cheese over saltines. Lastly, pour white sauce over shreaded cheese. (At this point, I usually throw a few more pats of butter on the top for good measure!) Bake casserole at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes until top is golded and bubbling.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rhine Meyering:
Sounds tasty. Which type of squash do you use? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It does sound really tasty. I would like to know about the type of squash and boiling part. Boil whole, or boil sliced and peeled?

Back