Spirit ll e310

Shane Ushler

Hello,
I purchased a new Spirit ll e310 Grill a couple of months ago. I am very disappointed in the performance! This thing will leave grill marks on my Ribeye but I can not get it to char to save my life. Do the newer grills regulated gas more than older models? With my old worn out Charbroil that I just took to the dump.., I had to fight back flames when grilling nice fatty meat like ribeye.., with this new e310 I can't get any flame what-so-ever above the "Flavorizer Bars" if my life depended on it!

Anyone else have this issue..., it can't be operating correctly!?!?

And YES..., I do know how to turn on a gas grill without tripping the regulator safety valve!

Thanks in advance!!!

Does the grill preheat to 550-600 degrees? A Weber is not supposed to catch fire, that is the purpose of the flavorizer bars. But, you should get some pretty good flares when the fat from those steaks hit them.

I would recommend removing one of the flavorizers whenever you feel
the need to get the "char" you are looking for and cook directly over
area of the grill. I would avoid doing that with foods with a high fat
content, as you may clog up your burner tubes a little bit.

on the pellet forums, some have suggested using a propane torch to get the char.

rib eye brulee !

Last edited:
Sounds like it is working properly. You might use an iron skillet or griddle on the grates to sear the steak. If you are on high and directly over a burner, that is all you are going to get. Have steaks at room temp.

Maybe a Napoleon with infrared side sear burner? Not sure the sear station on my Weber does quite what you want.

Maybe you're finally eating steak that is cooked nicely and just not used to that LOL. Honestly if you have open flames licking away at the meat you're tasting burning fat not grilled meat. Done properly there is no need to be using insane heat levels to get well crusted and tasty steaks. Look up some of the photos I have posted. My grill(s) never even approach full temps (except to warm up and stabilize) and then they get turned DOWN to a proper cooking level

I just got one and have not had the opportunity to use it yet. This weekend I will give it it’s maiden voyage with some nice steaks. I’ll let you know how it goes.

I find this quite fascinating. Shane liked the way his old Charbroil grill (that he took to the dump) cooked better than his new Weber. The CB probably had burners that were so rusted so the holes all met together, in combination with rusted through heat shields gave you an open flame cooking experience. Now Shane is disappointed using a properly working gas grill. I see the irony here. What @JSaus or @Dave in KC recommended should be ok, but almost all gas grills are not meant to be "open flame". When I want steaks kissed by flame I either use my Napoleon IR Sear burner or the kettle with charcoal. Maybe just drill a few holes in one of the flavorizer bars and use that one as your searing burner? The only other thing would be removing the flavorizers, picking up an adjustable grate and some lava rocks, and get them good and fatty. It is just that new gas grills are built more like ovens than open flame grills.
This one got me thinking, as gas grilling is not really meant to be an open flame cook, but I also like a little flame kiss to my steaks.

I remember cooking on those old Char-broil type grills with lava rock. Always had a spray bottle of water nearby to douse the bonfire that would occur as soon as you turned your back.

Back