Some starter questions

BSpatz

Hello Everyone,

I have been searching and reading all the information I can on the heatermeter and just wanted to clarify a few things before I begin purchasing parts. I apologize if any of this is covered elsewhere and I missed it.

I compete with a team in KCBS competitions and this would primarily be used with a WSM 22" and sometimes a Backwoods smoker Fatboy. We currently use a BBQ guru but i love the flexibility of this system and it seems like a fun project.

The 4.2.3 seems like it is in beta. What will be the changes? Is there a timeline for release and is it worth waiting or should i just build a 4.1.?

Is it possible to use the fan off a bbq guru? It is my understanding if i get an adapter for the fan plug it will work. Are the electrical requirements similar to what is recommended?

I haven't seen anyone use it on a backwoods. If I can use the guru fan i do not see and issue but has it been done or is it possible? Sorry I know this is a Weber forum but I'll be using both and thought I would ask.

Does Maverick make a clip on thermometer for smoker temp that works or only the short probe ones?

Is a damper really that beneficial? The guru we currently use does not have a damper and i do not see it as a huge issue. Is a damper compatible with the 4.1? Can i add it? Is there a standardized solution because I have seen several solutions.

Is it possible to add more then 3 meat probes at a later date? (It doesn't appear so but curious.)

Can I add wireless probe reading to the 4.1 at a later time.? Is there additional necessary hardware.

Are there specific instructions located on data logging during a cook? I'm getting a bit ahead of myself I just haven't seen any.

It seems like an very cool system and I admire all the work Bryan and all have you have done to improve it. Any information would be much appreciated.

Oof lots of questions so I'm going to be brief.

The 4.2.3 seems like it is in beta: 4.2 series cleans up a lot of the noise on the inputs and generally provides a better experience from a probe standpoint. It also adds variable voltage output which is quieter and more precise. Themocouple support is integrated opening up a range of new Pit Probe options, but it requires precise surface mount soldering. It's a little smaller too. There's still some work to do but if things go right it should be out in a month. We're at the point that I'd say wait for 4.2.

Is it possible to use the fan off a bbq guru? Sure, you'll need to build an RJ45 (ethernet jack) to barrel jack adapter but any of the BBQ Guru blowers will work with HeaterMeter as long as your 12V supply is powerful enough for it + 750mA.

I haven't seen anyone use it on a backwoods: I haven't seen it on one either, but I don't see why not.

Does Maverick make a clip on thermometer: I haven't seen one, but an alligator clip and a drop of epoxy can make one?

Is a damper really that beneficial? Depends on the natural convection you get in your smoker. My big green egg is difficult to control without a damper if I don't close the top vent almost completely. With the damper I don't have to care too much about it as long as the lid is on. If your guru works fine, then the heatermeter will work just as well.

Is it possible to add more then 3 meat probes: No. 3 food probes is the limit always and forever.

Can I add wireless probe reading to the 4.1 at a later time: Yes, it's just a single part that's added to the board to enable RF reception. You'll then need to build a transmitter too (lmremote). There is still a 4 probe overall limit.

re there specific instructions located on data logging: HeaterMeter is always datalogging when it is on. You can reset or archive the running graph at any time. The graph holds at most 24 hours. Annotation is not possible at this time.

Back