Some chicken thighs and chops

Did you run the temps up at the end?
Forgot. what pellet grill is it you have?
I did a 3 beef short ribs yesterday. Decent. GREAT smoke and flavor. But, did not get that nice unctuous meat I usually get. Though these were not cut or marbled well for for smoking. I'd bought them at Bull Valley Farm's Store. Frozen in butcher paper. Ostensibly to cook them for last evening for daughter #1 and myself.
But these were not well suited. Quite honestly had I known how these were cut I'd have saved them for a winter time pressure cooker braze or stew of some sort. They weren't "marbled" as you expect with short ribs. They were more large "striations" of fat layer with very lean meat layer. So, "rendering" meant I turned the "lean" portion in to more of a "jerky" portion

I ran at 240 to the end of cooked on the upper rack. I basted with a little melted butter and good Soy Sauce towards the end of the cook. Made the chicken for nachos and to add to lunch salads. Pitts and Spitts Maverick 1250

I also picked up this package of Chucks. I’m only posting it here because it goes well with how you are describing your beef ribs above. This package looked 10X better than all the other packages because of the marbling. But I’m afraid I will run into the same issue you had. I think I’m going to slow/cook smoke them for a couple hours then into a Dutch Oven and finish more like a pot roast with some added small potatoes and such. Or start as above then sous vide overnight. Just don’t think I can pull it off by only going low and slow till tender.
IMG_8724.jpeg

Back