So I messed up and accidentally ordered a 4.2 board and case...

Lee Davison

...Now when I've looked to source the button part I've found that it's end-of-lifed. The replacement, as people have said in other places here on the forum seems to not fit as it's 45 degrees off.

What can we do to fix this issue? Is it possible I can design an adapter board to move the pins round 45 degrees to mount on? I guess that it's not as simple as that, as the pinouts seem a bit different. Any other established approaches? Now that I've ordered the board and the case I don't want to scrap them :(

Thanks for the help and the project :)

I suppose if you have some 30AWG wires, you could solder the button to the pads on the 4.2 PCB and then glue down the button or something. The added height might not let it work with the case though. I'm afraid there isn't an easy solution.

I managed to find an equivalent 4 way with centre push. The pinout is the same aside from the extra actuation so I'm hoping it'll work! If anyone else has the same issue I got it from aliexpress, hopefully you can get the same luck.

While you're here, do the 2.5mm TS connectors need to be switched ones? They're nearly £5 each at the moment!

Edit: Oh I see that you're having the same discussion in another thread! It's a shame, some of the parts are becoming a real pain to find.

Nope they don't need to be switched mono jacks for the probes. The original idea was that you could have two things connected to them, so inserting a probe would toggle between the two, but I don't think anyone has used that in a decade so just two pins are all that is needed.

If you ordered the "For ALPS 5 way direction 6.5x6.5x4 Push Button SMD SMT Tactile Tact Switch Handy Phone Digital camera video camcorder Taster" from aliexpress, I'm afraid I have more bad news which is that it is not compatible in almost any way. The plunger is rotated 45 degrees off from what ours was, so it will actuate diagonally instead of up/down/left/right. The pinout is also different. I believe someone here has used one though, but my googling skills aren't helping me find it.
EDIT: AHA! Here is our original button datasheet SKQUAAA010, note the pinout at the bottom of page 2. I believe this is the datasheet for the model from aliexpress.

I've got a v4.3.6 HeaterMeter design off being fabbed currently, with different probe jack footprints so we'll see how that goes. The don't fit into existing 4.2 or 4.3 boards at all and I'm not sure I have the overhang right so they stick out the same distance the old jack did. I do enjoy that there are literally two mono jacks sold by Mouser-- the original one and this one. This is me taking all my eggs from one basket and putting them into another single basket. 🤪

Last edited:
Hi Bryan! This is the aliexpress listing I ordered: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000590085207.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6e624c4d0CxUf5. I didn't link before in case there were rules against it. It's from the same series as the one specified, but with the middle click.

Oh nice! I couldn't find that in my search but that looks like it's gonna work.

Yeah the international shipping is a killer, it takes forever (25-30 days) and there's zero that can be done if it gets lost on the way. Oddly, I just ordered the last 5V regulators I could find from UK and it was just $24 shipped and they showed up 2 business days later. That would cost me $150 if I wanted to do that the other direction. Think of it this way though, all your parts will have a story and not just "got it from some Florida Man"!

So my 3D printer cancelled on me, and the parts also said that they couldn't supply certain ones directly to customers. So I cancelled the whole thing and ordered a 4.3 kit from you. It came really quickly and was excellent to put together. Many, many thanks for your work on the project!

Back