Snuffing Charcoal in the S6

Mack Manning

TVWBB Super Fan
When I finish cooking, I close the top and bottom vents, but the coals keep burning for a long time. I get smoke leaks from the burner hole, so I guess the long burn is a function of air leaking there. I use the assist and it works well, but I'd rather use a chimney and be able to snuff the coals quickly and cover the grill before bedtime.

Has anyone sealed around the burner tube?

Would anyone in central NC like to swap an E6 lower bowl without gas assist for mine? I'd include all the gas assist bits, of course.

I haven't seen an S6 up close and in person. if you removed the gas assist would it be possible to just plug the hole?

I have a S6 and do not experience anything like you are. I don’t use the gas assist but all the parts are installed as Weber recommends them. I don’t experience any air leaks when smoking.

I’d recommend contacting Weber first. You shouldn’t haves these issues. I’m thinking your lid needs a slight alignment to better seal the gasket to the lower bowl.

I am struggling to see the the small air gap near the GA tube is keeping your fire alive.

Have you checked your sweep to see if it’s bent and allowing air in from the bottom?

I’d start there and the gasket sealing via alignment of the lid.

Back