Smoking with Bricks on 22.5" Gold (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris in Louisiana

TVWBB All-Star
I recently bought a Gold to go with my Weber Spirit gas grill and WSM. I figured it was a nice addition to the family that would allow me to grill steaks and burgers with charcoal when time permits.

I decided to try it for a small smoking job, as my neighbor uses his to do ribs, brisket, etc with good results.

My neighbor used his skill saw to trim a few inches off one fire brick so it and another brick would line up nicely across the grate. I put about 45 lit Stubbs briquets on, with a hunk each of hickory and mesquite. (Loving the Stubbs after several cooks).

The first cook was three very large bone-in chicken breasts. I put a pan beneath the breasts, half filled with hot water. Not sure if that was necessary, but my neighbor favors the pan. The breasts took about 1.5 hours. The temps were very high at first but settled to 350 or so.

After the breasts were done, I added unlit charcoal and wood chunks and threw on some leg quarters. They took considerably longer, but the fire was pretty weak by then, and I was in no hurry for them. They were for leftovers during the week.

I was pretty pleased with the results, and it was less trouble than using the WSM for such a small project.

DSC_0153-1.jpg

DSC_0151.jpg

And we had the largest full moon in several years to gaze at as we ate out on the patio during this bit of early spring weather.

I didn't take any pics of the Newcastle Brown Ale draught keg we were drinking from, but it was nice too.

DSC_0123-1.jpg

Nice job on the first-time smoking with the bricks. I have thought about buying a few fire bricks and doing the same thing (I don't yet own a WSM), but right now I don't know anyone who can cut them for me. I'm going to search a bit harder once I'm done with school in May.

Your post has just given me more inspiration to do that!

Thanks for sharing!

Barret

Nice looking evening all around.

New OTG will hopefully be in my near future.
Need to ask Shawn W if they offer 'special' tvwbb pricing at the store he works at
icon_wink.gif

Very nice, and I love the moon shot! Wow! I wish I could have seen it, but we are in the middle of a storm.
icon_frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back